ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Variable for the order amount pre-tax & shipping?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Variable for the order amount pre-tax & shipping?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrekLightGear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Variable for the order amount pre-tax & shipping?
    Posted: 15-December-2008 at 7:24pm
Hey everyone -

I'm using an external affiliate program (ShareASale) with PC 3.11a.   I just realized that I've been paying affiliates for total order amount, including shipping, for every affiliate sale.   It definitely doesn't make sense for me to pay affiliates for a percentage of the shipping since I don't make any money on shipping so I need to change it.

In OrderComplete.asp, the variable that is currently being passed to ShareASale is ptotal.   So this apparently represents the total amount of the sale including any shipping.   Is there an existing variable that represents the pre-shipping and tax order amount?  Do I have to create a new one?

I'm better at reading code then writing code so any explanation of what I need to do to pass the right information along would be appreciated.  Thanks!
RUOnTheNet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUOnTheNet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2008 at 12:51am
We also encountered the same problems - shipping and taxes are being paid on commissions to affiliates.  Searched here and the manuals but couldn't find a solution.

We looked at the code to arrive at the total amount used (ptotal) and realized that the net amount was not calculated in a "single" state, rather it is a compilation of all three (product, tax and sales) plus any discounts plus other deductions (promotions, certificates)  along with the # of units of a product, and then the Ptotal amount is  the value that is passed to the gateway.    Therefore no  "net" sales amount exists.   I think it is in the order that they "build" the pTotal that causes us not to have a net product total/amount. The pTotal is a list of all items involved.

We looked at writing a script for this but haven't gotten that far - (we're new to this also, and just finished customizing the site so our users can upload images to their order).  

Depending upon your volume, you can hold the orders and re-calculate ever day or other day - depending upon your ShareASale settings.   We use in-house web apps for our affiliate programs and with PC (our first venture with this ecommerce platform) we mark each sale as pending, then discount taxes and shipping for orders above before approving the sales.   Except for the holiday rush shipping, most orders use our basic shipping so we're only looking at $2.00 extra on a average $200 order that we pay affiliates.   You might also want to add a "Handling" fee to adjust the extra payout to affiliates and to work on mainting profit margins.  (gets complicated though doesn't it?)

If no one comes up with an already designed solution, we can look at this in the new year as we would like to pay on net also.  But I do think it would be a lot of work - because of the way the tallies are totalled and the options for the items.  

Alan,
www.AreYouOnTheNet.com
Internet Sales, Marketing & Affiliate Program Management
TrekLightGear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrekLightGear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2008 at 4:50pm
Doesn't sound like this is going to be easy :)

If anyone else has any thoughts or suggestions on a way to easily pass the pre-tax and shipping order amount to a variable, I'm sure we'd both love to hear them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic