ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Export Generated Gift Certificate Codes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrekLightGear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Export Generated Gift Certificate Codes?
    Posted: 23-September-2010 at 3:48pm
I'm looking into working with an external group deals site (a la Groupon).  In order to setup a deal they need a bulk list of unique Gift Certificate codes to import into their system so they can be emailed to customers who purchase.   I see that I can easily bulk create a set number of GC codes in the control panel, but I can't find the easiest way to export those into a CSV list.   

Any ideas?  If there's an easier way to do this using coupons vs. GC's I'm open to that as well but bulk GC creation appears to be the best way.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2010 at 12:24am
Very interesting. I've been meaning to find an excuse to do something with Groupon and PC.

Here's one very important thing to consider: Gift Certifiates carry a balance, so that are not at all like Coupon Codes. Have you thought that through?

So, if I rehash what you are saying here, and not having delved into Groupon yet, are you saying that each each customer needs their own unique coupon code? I think I could see some sense in that. And if that were the case, I could see how we could crate a tool to automate creating coupon codes and facilitate the export of them to pass on to Groupon.

I would definitely like to explore this more with you.
TrekLightGear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrekLightGear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2010 at 1:03pm
Hi Sean -

Thanks for the response. The way that they prefer to do deals is promotions like '$40 for $75 worth of X' as opposed to just '45% off your order', etc. So, a coupon code would work, using a $75 min purchase and a $35 discount for this example. But language would also need to be included with the promotion to explain that you must spend the full $75 in order to get the discount since a coupon works a bit differently than a coupon. I can see the advantages to doing it with a coupon vs. GC, so if there's a way to do bulk coupon creation that would be a big start.

Greg already reached out to me about a custom project, but this promotion is really just a pilot-run for me and not something I can really justify spending $$ on custom coding.   I found a workaround that involves just copying and pasting the codes from the CP screen, it's rudimentary but it works. But, I'm forced to use the GC's vs. coupons (unless there's a way to bulk create coupons I don't know about) and my real concern is the maintenance of these. If I create 200 GC's (or even 200 coupons) it's going to quickly become pretty messy and improved coupon/GC management, along with the export capabilities, is really what needs to be done to help ProductCart owners work with companies like Groupon. (They also offered to generate the coupon codes on their end if I could import them in, but I don't see the ability to do that either)

So, it looks like I've got enough of a workaround to give this a test run, but I definitely think it would be a good potential project for you or Greg to look into as an add-on, assuming the interest is there.
Seth Haber
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic