ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Setting up multiple stores in one database

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pzula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Setting up multiple stores in one database
    Posted: 21-July-2010 at 1:57pm
Is it possible to set up mutiple stores on one domain, such as example.com/store1 and example.com/store2, and only use 1 MS SQL database? The company has multiple store divisions and we have a limited amount of SQL accounts with our hosting company.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
P
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2010 at 2:15pm
Apart from the technical dificulties you are limited by the ProductCart licencing - See http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/productcart/licensing
However, you are allowed to have multiple different looks to the one store, perhaps by separating the divisions into categories : See http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/how_to/display_different_content_category   This approach does leave all the products etc accessible under the one admin set of admin pages.

cognecy View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2010 at 3:39pm
If I can add in a bit to this ...

The main problem with this scenario really comes down to the fact that ProductCart is simply not designed for the "multi-store-single-DB' set up.  I do know there are platforms out there that are designed for this function but they are also very, very expensive and you are typically paying quite up front for the license or or you end up shelling it out on a month-to-month basis.  

Aside from the licensing aspect that Hamish pointed out, in order for productcart to be able to handle multiple stores would be a monumental design effort in my view both on the coding and Database side of things.  This would require the ability to segregate billing, multiple merchant accounts, and multiple shipping accounts to name just a few.

We have been able to achieve something that is about 50% to what you are looking for by linking inventory and pricing between multiple PC stores (separate DB's) but not multiple stores on a single DB.  Even linking the inventory is pretty tricky as the product numbers and SKU's must be identical between both stores and since PC assigns the product numbers internally ....  like I said very tricky!

Sorry to sound like a kill-joy here but I think the best option would be to set up multiple stores separately.  Many of our customers are doing this now and it works well for them.  It also allows them to cross link sites and come up with different looks for each site.

It may still be possible to link products and inventory (if you track that internally) so you can update products in one master store and push those changes to the other databases (recall above where I said that is pretty tricky as product numbers and SKU's need to be identical).

Just a few extra thoughts for what it is worth.

Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
Hosting/Design/Customization/Database Migration
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk
annabie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annabie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2010 at 3:38am
Originally posted by Hamish Hamish wrote:

Apart from the technical dificulties you are limited by the ProductCart licencing - See http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/productcart/licensing
However, you are allowed to have multiple different looks to the one store, perhaps by separating the divisions into categories : See http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/how_to/display_different_content_category   This approach does leave all the products etc accessible under the one admin set of admin pages.

What if I don't want to divide them into categories? Aren't there any other way?
netprofits View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netprofits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2010 at 6:08am
No, there are licensing issues and even if there weren't, as Mark explained above, it would take a major custom programming project to get the application to work like that. It would be much less expensive and much faster to just buy multiple licenses and web hosting accounts. In addition, if you customize the software that much, you can't upgrade to new versions without re-applying all of the customizations.
NetProfits Internet Consulting

Certified ProductCart Developer

Our Site
pzula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pzula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2010 at 2:51pm
Thank you, I decided that this would not be the way to go and appreciate everyone's input!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic