ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transferring to New Web Host & Store

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MGatESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transferring to New Web Host & Store
    Posted: 05-October-2009 at 2:40pm
I'm having loads of trouble changing our ProductCart to a new store.

My company wants to move from one webhost to another.  We're moving to JoltDigital.com, I have the account set up, and they've installed a fresh, new copy of ProductCart v3.51 on the site.

Problem is, since my company isn't going to pay for a new license, we're using our existing license which is still active on the old site until the new site is ready to go live.  How can I run two stores without paying for two stores so that I can make sure the data from the old store transfers over properly to the new store.  I'm already running into data integrity problems just trying to make a copy of the product data so I'm sure it's going to be a long and involved process to get everything moved from one server to another.  In order to make the transition as smooth as possible, I really need to have two stores accessible so that I can look between the two to see how they compare (to make sure data transferred over correctly) before I go completely live with the new store.

We have other domain names we can use for "testing purposes", but my problem right now is that I can't work on the new store because the old license is still active on another web server.

Please help ASAP as I need to have this finished before the end of the week!
~ Mark G.

ESS, Inc. - www.endoscopy.com
netprofits View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netprofits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2009 at 2:51pm
Hi Mark, when we have done this type of thing, we do the following:
1. Shut down the live site. You don't want any changes to the "live" data during the transition.
2. Copy all files and the database to the new site. You would need the old host to give you a backup of the database and the new host to restore the database on their server. This avoids having to migrate data through exports/imports.
3. Change the domain name to point to the new site.

This way there should be no issues with the site or database and the whole process should be completed in a few hours at the most. The only thing that may take longer is changing the name servers for the domain which can take 24-72 hours to take affect.
NetProfits Internet Consulting

Certified ProductCart Developer

Our Site
JoltDigital View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoltDigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2009 at 4:58pm
Please contact us and we will help you with this.
JoltDigital Inc.
1-888-785-5658
Premium ProductCart Hosting
MGatESS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MGatESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2009 at 9:19am
Thanks, but I think I've figured out what I need to do.
~ Mark G.

ESS, Inc. - www.endoscopy.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic