ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keyword-rich URLs Idea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizzinpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keyword-rich URLs Idea
    Posted: 15-May-2012 at 11:14am
I was thinking... why not have a seperate field in the admin for each product and each category to be able to name the page url. Since the url is generated based on the title of the product or category... we can just add a separate field and point it to that instead. Sounds pretty simple to me. 
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2012 at 4:00pm
I was thinking of that too, Art.

I've done a variation that uses the meta title for the URLs (as that's more likely the field one would be making more keyword rich/SEO targeted). But then I was thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to add in a manual override for the URL. I think it would still need to have cat/prod/page ID's, though, as we can't be completely sure all URLs entered this way would be unique.

Then we'd have a cascading hierarchy:
  1. If Keyword URLs exists, use it
  2. If not, but meta title exists, use that
  3. Else, fall back on the cat/prod/page name (current functionality)
Then again, it might be just as well to just lean on the meta title, if populated.

I'll add this to the list of enhancements I've been planning for our Manage Meta Tags add-on (and maybe be able to get to it by the fall).

EDIT: BTW, here's a site where I've revised the process to build the URLs off the meta title:

Edited by Sean@WMS - 14-June-2012 at 4:10pm
whizzinpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizzinpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2012 at 11:28am
Exactly what we want. This is a must for productcart. I'm waiting on this add-on. Please let me know as soon as you have it ready.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic