ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

export a flat file "template" of SQL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sschwant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: export a flat file "template" of SQL
    Posted: 03-August-2009 at 3:52pm
I've setup a single product in my SQL db via the PC control panel.  I need to migrate an Access db w/ ~ 700 products in it to PC SQL.  

How do I now export a flat file "template" that I can use to re-populate my new SQL database via the control panels' import function?  I don't see any options in the Control Panel and the WIKI doesn't seem to address this either.

Thanks!

Steve

sschwant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sschwant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2009 at 4:28pm
FYI ... I found the "reverse import wizard" for "exporting" under the Import option.  Sorry, still a newbie here...

BTW ... is there a "proper" way to close a post (my own) to the forum, rather than just posting replies?

Thanks,

Steve

cognecy View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2009 at 4:36pm
I would definitely warn against using wizards to do a migration from Access to MSSQL  (especially the Access upsizing wizard). 

I have been doing Access - to - SQL migrations for Product cart for several years (as I am sure many will attest to on this forum).  There is quite a bit that can go wrong if the migration is not done properly.  It is really worth the time and cost to get someone that is extremely familiar with SQL and the Productcart database to do this for you.

Edited by cognecy - 03-August-2009 at 4:38pm
Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
Hosting/Design/Customization/Database Migration
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2009 at 4:44pm
Mark - He's switching from Storefront to PC and what he needs to do is export his products from Access and import them with the PC import wizard.
sschwant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sschwant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2009 at 4:59pm
Yes, that's correct.  I'll be working entirely from Excel to manage this process, starting with my old access db, identifying the relevant product fields to export to Excel, and then porting that data into an Excel template to upload into ProductCart.  I found both a knowledge base article and a PDF on using the import wizard. 

It appears that w/ SQL it's okay to have null values in certain fields w/in the file to be uploaded?  Is that correct?

Thanks

Steve
sschwant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sschwant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2009 at 5:20pm
Follow up question for the db subject matter experts ...

I downloaded the v3_Import_Template.xls and compared that to my copy of the PC export from the reverse import wizard (after having loaded one product into the db).

1) the fields (columns which I transposed in Excel for easy comparison) are not equal
2) there are 101 columns in the template, but only 98 in my exported copy
3) they match until column 37 or 38 and then they are mismatched the rest of the way.  If I insert one column (into the downloaded v3_template, then the rest of the columns match up until the final 3 .... i.e., there were 3 extra at the end, 101 vs. 98 in my export.

Why is that disconnect there ... ?

I want to make sure I get this right, so I don't screw up my upload from the get go ... I will give the PDF a little more study, but I'm just curious to see if anyone can explain it quickly ... also curious about uploading null values.

Thanks,

Steve

cognecy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2009 at 6:26pm
I see ... mis-understood how you were approaching this.
Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
Hosting/Design/Customization/Database Migration
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk
avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2009 at 3:34pm
I use the import feature within PC, it works great, except there are a few tricks. One tip is to do the import in stages:  the first import is bring in all the required fields, then add to the information you have in followup imports.  You don't need to import all the fields the first go round.  Another tip is for importing options, if you use them.  You have to do separate imports for those products with say 1 option group, and those with 2 , then 3 and so forth.  (unless they fixed this bug).  Also, to create the actual information used for the productcart import, I use MS Access queries and tables .  Once I have the table, I export from access to excel sheet and follow the steps to import the excel file.  You want the Access table fieldnames to match the PC field names, it makes mapping fields a whole lot easier and faster.
Hope this helps
Curt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic