ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Custom Input Field Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesjewelry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom Input Field Question
    Posted: 07-July-2009 at 1:07am
I was wondering if it was possible to remove the custom input field warning that shows below the text box.  The one that says something like..."You have 20 characters left. Do not use HTML. "

Thanks!
- Julie
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2009 at 1:32am
I have not tried this, so make a backup of /includes/languages.asp before proceeding.  It may work, and then again...

Find these statements in the above file:
dictLanguage.Add "english_GiftWrap_5a", "You have "
dictLanguage.Add "english_GiftWrap_5b", "characters left. Do not use HTML."

change them to this:
dictLanguage.Add "english_GiftWrap_5a", ""
dictLanguage.Add "english_GiftWrap_5b", ""

good luck.
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2009 at 1:38am
Ya know, the moment I posted I realized it won't work.  you'll still have the 20 in there.  Hang on and I'll be back when I find the line that needs to be edited in another file.

OK, here ya go.  First, make a backup copy of /pc/viewprdcode.asp.  Then open the file with a text editor.

In that file are 6 instances of statement that contain a reference to "GiftWrap_5a".  Perform a "find" with your editor looking for that string.  The 6 statements will be similar to this:

<%response.write dictLanguage.Item(Session("language")&"_GiftWrap_5a")%><span id="countchar1" name="countchar1" style="font-weight: bold"><%=maxlength%></span> <%response.write dictLanguage.Item(Session("language")&"_GiftWrap_5b")%>

You need to comment them out. 

<!--<%response.write dictLanguage.Item(Session("language")&"_GiftWrap_5a")%><span id="countchar1" name="countchar1" style="font-weight: bold"><%=maxlength%></span> <%response.write dictLanguage.Item(Session("language")&"_GiftWrap_5b")%>-->

There are also some <br> line breaks which you may want to comment but this will require testing as you make edits, and making certain that you achieve the layout you desire.

As you make these edits, PLEASE be certain to place comments in the code so you can find your changes and re-apply them at a future date such as when you are upgrading to v4.

Here are some helpful ideas about editing scripts:
http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/developers/editcode?s[]=editing

Edited by Greg Dinger - 07-July-2009 at 1:55am
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2009 at 4:29am
It's possible to remove that text, but is it a good idea? The countdown and the warning about not using HTML are both useful information. Is there a good reason, other than aesthetics, why you wish to remove the warning text?
julesjewelry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesjewelry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2009 at 11:08am
Great, thank you.  I'll try that.  Yes, for now it's just an aesthetic and scrolling/length of page issue.  My customers would not need the count down or html warning, because they are just typing in a name for a personalized bracelet.

Thanks again, I'll give it a try.
- Julie
mattprice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2009 at 3:17am

You could enter a zero in the maximum number of characters field for this custom field.  This removes the text altogether.  If you do have a character limit for the bracelet names then you could mention this in the custom field description instead and rely on a customer's common sense when ordering.

Of course, this method does not stop somebody breaking any character limit rules when placing an order.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic