ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Handling Charge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Handling Charge
    Posted: 05-August-2007 at 10:10am

Hello,

I have many products that I need to add a handling charge to when the customer is checking out.

Can this be done for individual products or any products that are under a certain price range?

Chris

ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2007 at 1:13pm
The easiest way to do this on a 'product-by-product' basis is to assign a required option (named "Handling Charge" to those products so that the customer must select it when adding the item to their cart.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
Confetti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Confetti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2007 at 4:18pm
My 3¢ on Handling charges.  If you want a handling charge on a per product basis, I would simply build it into the price.  I do not pretend to know your specific reason, but personally, as a consumer I despise these charges, as they are generally displayed after the fact.

Further, I ask myself, why didn't they just say so when I "added to the cart".

Maybe I'm wrong on the consumer side, and would be interested in if others have experience with products on there site that they have alternated these method and have real world sales figure showing if one way or the other is best.

Again, personally, I have many, many, many times abandon a site, that I feel was not upfront on the selection cost, until the VERY END.

Lastly Early's response is fine.  But it is a negative.  You are now asking the customer to ADD two dollar amounts.  Keep it at one, and if you are compelled to rationalize it, then in the product detail, say something like "Price includes Forking Lifting onto a Truck", or whatever, but positive.
chris_b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2007 at 5:14pm

Confetti,

I also don't like the handling charges being added at the checkout, but here is the problem I am running into.

I buy products from 3 different dropshippers. All 3 of them have flat rate shipping for ground and 2nd day. The problem is that one of my dropshippers 2nd day shipping is $6 more than the other 2. So if I sell a $15 accessory and it has to ship from the one dropshipper with the more expensive rate I would break even or lose money. It is hard to build it into the price because then it looks like I am charging more than my competitors.

I think I will just have to raise my 2nd day shipping price and see what happens.

Chris

intour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2007 at 5:09pm

Hi Chris,

I agree totally with Confetti. Try to avoid showing a separate handling charge if you can.

I appreciate it can be an issue if you are competing on price - particularly if you are using a price comparison based portal like Pricerunner for example.

Most buyers though don't care if there is a $ or 2 different in price providing they think the service will be good and they will get the product when promised.

Nigel

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic