ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Consignment Sales

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Consignment Sales
    Posted: 18-April-2008 at 4:23pm
Ok, I had to think more about it.  Half of it is already in place with the drop shipper, another with the affiliates.  Would it be possible to have this out with your next release.  Have a section for "consignment seller".   This can be with optional drop shipment or without.  Set it up to have the consignee information and products assigned to a consignment seller, with a percentage of sales going to the consignment seller, and an email notification each time a product has been sold.  Have a login for the consignment seller showing sales and his earnings and have a report area where payments can be posted. 
This can be used for software sales with downloads.  The consignment seller makes an earning each time his product has been sold.  I bet there may be a big demand for it.  Many small software developers do not have the capability of accepting credit cards and prefer to facilitate an outlet with there target audience.   In my case I will get the sales right to a product, which will be available for download and a book version for shipping from our location.  The product owner is in Germany but the product will be produced and sold in the USA.   Saves on shipping cost from overseas.  
Katharina
MarkCoyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkCoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2008 at 4:37pm

Hi

I have already done this as an extension to ProductCart using ASP Report Marker 2.  I sell downloads using PC for which artists and labels get a % share.   I set them up as a drop shipper with a customised email so they receive a notice upon sale by email.

Then I export the sales, run it through a database easily and upload it into the reporting portal.  ASP Report Marker is wonderful, it allows for detail / summary / chart report of information with live filtering and a password related login system.

While I would love it if this was included in PC (and have already raised it a couple of years ago), this solution has proven very popular indeed with our artists and labels distributing their music through the service. 

The approach I've taken gives flexibility if a product is temporarily discounted, reduced in price from a certain time etc then this is reflected in the sales figures.  It would be a substantial change to do fully in PC as it would have to track all sales schemes, coupons and price changes to report sales accurately over a historical time period.  At the moment it only needs to know the current live information.

ASP ReportMaker is at http://www.hkvstore.com/aspreportmaker/ along with lots of other useful ASP apps at low prices.   It imports data well and could offer you what you need.   We currently distribute 600 albums, adding about 20 a month and maintaing this and populating it takes only an hour or two a month.

cheers

Mark

MarkCoyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkCoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2008 at 4:46pm

I should also have said the above software allows for the report contents to be exported to word and excel, so artists/labels can have their own electronic files to track sales.

We put a link up at our site to request payment then add them as a line to the reports.  So they can always see the net position of sales and payments.

Let me know offlist if you need any help.

cheers

Mark

katharina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2008 at 5:12pm
The only problem I can think of is that we also sell items that actually ship besides the downloads.  The current drop shipper option automatically adds another shipping box to the order and screws up the shipping cost to the customer.  That would not be a problem if everything is on download, but as said we have items that ship as well.  We still end up with another shipping box, even when we set it up that the drop shipper ships the items to the store and not customer.  So either EI adds some options to the drop shipper or they create another option of consignment seller.  It just makes perfectly sense for them to add.  A lot of it is already in place.  Another problem I see is that a customization may screw me over with future PC updates.  I'm not a programmer and my ASP knowledge is very small.  I rather see EI implement this little wish.  Again I think there is good market out there.
Katharina

Edited by katharina - 18-April-2008 at 5:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic