ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database file size?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulyork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Database file size?
    Posted: 09-April-2008 at 4:14pm
I'm using v3.11 with MS Access. My site is at a point where it will not load. The Access file is over 9 megs, and that's with all products and orders removed. Is this normal to have a file this size?
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2008 at 4:26pm

9mb doesn't seem that large. Some will argue that it cannot be done but I actually have a hosting account running Access that is over 300mb.  We are in the midst of migrating it to MSSQL, but size is not always an indication that an Access DB won't work.

How much traffic are you getting?  Could we a have a link please?

BTW, if you decide to upsize to MSSQL, don't even think twice about going to Mark at Cogency. Just do it, to coin a phrase.  He rocks.

paulyork View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulyork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2008 at 4:51pm
The site is getting very little traffic, so I don't think it a "too many users" problem. The site is www.quiltsampler.com. The server seems to be OK. I have other site on this same server using the same version of PC with no problem.
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2008 at 5:09pm

When it "finally" came up, there was a script timeout error in the "featured monthly closeouts" box.  Without knowing what modifications have been done to the code, I'd be looking at that specific area first before assuming there was a database issue.  Is a product active in that section?  Does the script gracefully deal with the absence of a product being active in that section? 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic