ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tips needed on SKU/fresh installed PC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoffeeShop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips needed on SKU/fresh installed PC
    Posted: 02-April-2008 at 1:05am
Hi,

I am working on a very fresh install of PC v3.11, all security measures taken into account. Right now, zero customers (will start with 101), zero categories, products (start with 101), and before I get things started I like to get your advice based on your experience using productcart.

- What's the best way to maximize the utilization of SKU? The primary items I will be selling are books and media items. So color, sizes 'numbering codes' are not actually to be used.

- What are the things you realized you 'overlooked'? When you first started using productcart any configurations, numbering, marketing issues you wished you handled before now that your store is growing?

I'm excited to start configuring my site for Productcart. Your comments will be appreciated. Thanks!

Jas

Edited by CoffeeShop - 02-April-2008 at 5:33am
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2008 at 11:30am

Start with a few products, and if you have products that need unique treatment, make sure you have configured each of the types of products or options/attributes within those initial test products.

With those products in place, you may discover any glitches with any product configuration activities that need to be addressed.

Create a test shipping method, a test payment method, and place an order to make sure things work.

When you are comfortable with what you have done, roll up your sleeves and bash the rest of the products into the store.  And think about using the product import feature if you feel it would be easier to create the products in that manner.

MikeCC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2008 at 1:45pm
I'd start all sequences with a much bigger number eg 1000001 for customers and 2000001 for products, 3000001 for orders, 4000001 for invoices. It's just a bit easier to have different items with difference sequences eg you know straight away what sort of reference a customer is giving you if they make an enquiry.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2008 at 6:17pm
We do something similar - large numbers with large ranges - so plenty of slack/gaps for insertions etc.
For BTO items (if your using BTO) which cannot be bought separately we use a different length of SKU from our purchasable products - so they appear together and it's obvious (to us) that they are BTO Items.     
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic