ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Single login - java and user forum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Single login - java and user forum
    Posted: 16-January-2006 at 8:18pm
This is a three part question/suggestion:

1. Is there a mechanism of sharing a validated login from productcart to other applications such as a second database hosted on a separate secure server or say to a user forum application such as this?

2. Do you know of a user forum application such as this which can integrate with product cart when run on the same MS windows server and share the one login?

3. Does anyone have good experience with hosted secure java applications (for running Berkley DB)?

Thanks
cptkoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cptkoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2006 at 10:37am

I started to look into this sort of thing but never saw the project all the way through to completion .......

www.dotnetnuke.com is a freeware portal that runs on a windows server with a sql back end. It has alot of modules that you can use to build your store community including forums.

The thinking being you sign in once and depending on your permission level you can use the different modules. There are several shopping cart modules that integrate with this security model.

Its open source and you are free to build your own modules. In theory it should be entirely feasible to integrate productcart into a module but thats the tricky bit.

It would be great if productcart could be integrated as a future project as the dnn project seems to be a growing market and a good revenue stream for businesses that integrate.

If you need any more info let me know.

"I need a hug, I need love, I need fun, I want to feel happy. Thats the world I want to live in!"
geoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2006 at 8:03pm
cptkoi

Thanks for the headsup. Probably too late for me to go this route now.

I was think more of sharing authentication. For example after successful validation of the user from the ProductCart login and within SSL encryption finding an off-the-shelf discussion forum that would then autolog in the forum member under the name passed to it by some ASP script.

Anyone?
cptkoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cptkoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2006 at 5:10pm

Im pretty sure there would be a way to acheive this with session/cookie variables but it would mean alot of coding and custom development.

The one other way I have seen apps linked like this is coppermine image gallery with various forums. They have a bridging file that links the users tables together.

A handy addition to product cart would be a way to integrate it with third party apps.

"I need a hug, I need love, I need fun, I want to feel happy. Thats the world I want to live in!"
geoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2006 at 8:03pm
This issue is still an issue for me.

I recent found a number of people using esupport by KAYAKO, others might find this product interesting for content and support desk management.

It also claims to support a single log in to include vBulletin. If anyone takes a look at this or has experience with this type of solution please let me know.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic