ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Header creation problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahoedesigner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Header creation problem
    Posted: 26-September-2007 at 3:59pm
I have had this problem before - my client needed changes to the header, so I made the changes for the entire site, and then hesitated to make changes to the header. I went around and around for several weeks trying to get the first header to actually look right, and it was an error or something wrong with the header/footer creation tool in dreamweaver.
I opened a ticket with PC, and was told "We are sorry, but we do not provide free technical support on issues related to the graphical interface of a store. The graphical interface is something that is completely outside of our control (graphics, HTML, CSS, and other code created by you or your Web designer). As you can imagine, it would be impossible for us to support the thousands of ProductCart users that create a custom design for their stores. We hope you understand."
Considering its the same issue as before - Header problems - I'm a little upset. I have gone line-by-line in my code and have yet to find the reason why my header has a couple parts that float off the page.
Any help any one can give me would be great - before I have to pay $80hr to PC. View the page at shop.latherandfizz.com
netprofits View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netprofits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2007 at 4:20pm

This is almost always an issue with incorrectly formatted tables. Just taking a quick look at the source code, at least one problem is that your top three rows in the table don't have the correct number of cells defined. The first row (including your colspan tags) adds up to 12 cells. The second and third rows add up to 15 cells.

This is not a problem with the Product Cart header/footer. It is a problem the HTML added to those files.

NetProfits Internet Consulting

Certified ProductCart Developer

Our Site
tahoedesigner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahoedesigner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2007 at 4:44pm
thanks, but how do I fix it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netprofits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2007 at 5:21pm
If you familiar with HTML, just go in and clean up the HTML so the rows match up correctly, i.e. you must have the same total number of cells in each row. The easiest, although not the best, would be to create two separate tables...one for the to row with 12 cells and one for the next two rows with 15 cells. If you're not comfortable with HTML then you may want to pay a designer to build the HTML for you.

Our Site

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahoedesigner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2007 at 6:08pm
I am the designer -  I just usually work in illustrator/photoshop to create my headers and then slice them up and import into dreamweaver - which I guess is not really compatible with the forming of the header in PC. PC took out the formal table that the header was in.

I guess I will try what you say to do, but I'm getting really fed-up with the "easy" integration of PC.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netprofits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2007 at 6:36pm

The issue is not with PC. We have built close to 60 PC sites and as long as the HTML is clean, integrating it into PC works well. The issue is not a compatibillity with PC. What we usually do is build a regular HTML page, outside of product cart that leaves the content area blank. Once that is working, we just split the HTML page into the header and footer files and everything works. There is a PDF guide that explains this in detail:
http://www.earlyimpact.com/productcart/support/Integrating_P roductCart_v3_with_your_Web_site.pdf

Our Site

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahoedesigner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2007 at 6:07pm
no kidding. That's EXACTLY how I did my header and footer! Wow. Good to know you did a different process than I did!
I guess you're just TOO good for a normal designer.
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2007 at 6:21pm

You still have some rows that have 14 cells, some 12, and at least one with a colspan set to 15. A quick View Source on http://shop.latherandfizz.com/latherstore/pc/home.asp shows the issue.

The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
Stuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2007 at 6:25pm

Tahoe,

Interesting in that I created both of our sites following the directions provided to you by NetProfits and had very little problems at all...........it just like worked......and I am nothing more than a dumb small business owner, not even close to being a web designer!

You really should try to be more appreciative of people offering you free assistance.

carstone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2007 at 2:31pm

Tahoe,
NetProfits is one of the most helpful members here. Don't be rude and he will save you a bundle. Keep that up and your only option will be the $80/hr route.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic