ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Selecting a Shopping Cart

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Selecting a Shopping Cart
    Posted: 15-February-2008 at 6:11pm
Looking into purchasing Product Cart, which appears to be a fantastic value at $695 with unlimited support for life.  Also looking at aspdotnetstorefront.com and ablecommerce.com, which are about twice as much.  

Whatever we choose, we’ll be adding custom code and modifying existing features to accomplish certain features such as public-facing profiles, community submitted content, and a rewards system.

I’m looking for recommendations, comparisons, lessons learned, and general advice to determine which product is right for my business.

Thanks,
ezcat

chris_b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2008 at 6:29pm

I also was interested in aspdotnetstorefront.com. But after playing with the back end of both Productcart and asp I decided that Productcart was just a lot easier to use and that was what I was looking for.

I am not a designer or developer, so I can't comment on these topics.

Chris

ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2008 at 7:02pm

To clarify our support policy, it is NOT unlimited support for life.  In fact, our End User License Agreement (EULA) is very clear about this in section 2.1.  Here is the actual paragraph:

2.1 Technical Support

Technical support documents and answers to frequently asked questions related to the use of the Software are available free of charge to all licensed users of the Software on Early Impact's Web site located at:
http://www.earlyimpact.com/productcart/support.  On Software purchased directly from Early Impact, technical support is provided by Early Impact via e-mail on a "best effort" basis.  Currently, Early Impact does not charge for technical support. However, by accepting this End User License Agreement, Licensee acknowledges that Early Impact may not be able to or wish to continue offering technical support free of charge, and might start charging a fee for this service. In addition, Early Impact does not provide free telephone support on the Software and Early Impact does not provide free technical support for Software purchased through a reseller. Early Impact does not provide any technical support on any feature of the Software that Licensee has either directly modified, or whose operation is in any way affected by such modifications.

The fact is that support is a very costly aspect of a business like this, and there is a strong possibility in the future that free support will only be available for the first 90 days after purchase.  After that, it will be based on a per incident basis, but there would never be a charge if the issue is related to a bug in ProductCart.

Edited by earlyimp - 15-February-2008 at 7:07pm
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
katharina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2008 at 5:51pm

I've been using Product Cart for several years now.  I was going back and forwards between this product and two others (at higher cost).  I have to say I'm glad I choose product cart.  Years back it had a minor issues with search engine friendliness, but I knew about.  Early Impact was quite open about it.  It was not perfect either, but it was very close, and lets face it none of the others were perfect either.  The selling point was the price of Product Cart.  I'm a small business owner and cannot afford to spend big bucks.  So I went for it, even spend the 50 bucks to have it installed.  A steal in my point of view, since I'm not a professional when it comes to programming and setting up a server.  I think a month later they found a solution for the search engine friendliness.  Followed by numerous improvement with free upgrades.  I had a problem with one upgrade that had to do with my host's server and something they did not think of at Early Impact.  I did open a support ticket and they fixed it within one hour!  They have always been polite and willing to help over the years.  Not just me, but others posting questions in the forum.  I've been recommending them since.  I understand the issue with giving free support.  It is costly in the long run to offer free support, especially if someone want's it for all kind of little things that may be enplained here in the forum or in tutorials they post.  Charging for this service would be acceptable, perhaps giving up to x numbers for free per year and charge after that.  Obviously I prefer for free.  LOL 

Katharina

Stuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2008 at 11:52am
I actually own (2) store licenses for aspdotnetstorefront & the same for ablecommerce as well. Both are now just collecting dust since we switched to ProductCart approx a year ago! Ablecommerce just wasn't flexible enough for our needs, or was too difficult to modify in my opinion. Aspdotnetstorefront got to the point where they seemed to have too many irons in the fire and we could no longer keep up with their frantic software releases, bug fixes, etc. The final straw for us was when their technical manager told us we could no longer obtain real time USPS shipping rates other than for "Flat Rate Envelopes".............sorry, however, our products don't fit in flippin envelopes & please don't tell me the US Postal Srvc would overlook something that would cost them immeasurable amounts of money in lost revenue!  Our ProductCart stores have met all of our needs & have been extremely reliable to date. The 1st thing we noticed after switching to ProductCart was that our stores just seem to "keep on ticking", they are up & working everyday............and this has made my work days far less stressful!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic