ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next Button

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Next Button
    Posted: 12-March-2008 at 5:45pm
My customers are getting confused with the next buttons and click it instead of send to cart. How do I get rid of the next and previous buttons?
Peter
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2008 at 9:07am
Hi Peter,

Do you mean those for "Next Product" and "Previous Product"  ?
I don't see how they could be confused by those - get brighter customers :-)

Seriously though, I would consider amending the graphic for the "Next" button to have text that better describes what it does - that avoids amending the ASP code which has an ongoing maintenance overhead.
If that's not what you want/need please provide a link to the offending page & I'll take a look.  
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2008 at 9:27am
Hi Peter,
     If you do want to get rid of them the routine that generates them is pcs_NextButtons which resides in viewPrdCode.

The routine is (at least in my copy of V311) only called from two other files :
viewprdC and viewprdL and the code you need to comment out is as follows :-

<!-- Start Back and Next Buttons -->
             <%pcs_NextButtons%>
             <!-- End Back and Next Buttons -->

Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2008 at 10:17am

To expand on Hamish's post, you want to insert a ' in the statement below.  That will prevent pcs_NextButtons from being executed.

<%'pcs_NextButtons%>

As you edit pages like this, it will be useful to place a comment in the top of the page, and perhaps adjacent to the change, indicating what alterations you made.  Perhaps even retain a worksheet of the pages you edited for future reference when you want to re-apply the changes against a future software upgrade.

Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2008 at 10:34am
Good point Greg!
I do that - I always use an identifying word in the comment - in our case our company name, to make searching for the change very easy.
Another thing I do is take a copy of the original file and rename it with the version name on the front - e.g. viewPrd.asp would have an unmodified copy saved as V311_viewPrd.asp - that allows me to compare the two files to definitively see what I changed, as well as making it very easy to get a list of files that I've updated.

I'm just investigating the use of SubVersion as well to track changes.
abyss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2008 at 5:14pm

Hi

Thanks for that. The particular page or group of pages are at http://www.abyss.com.au/productcart/pc/Lessons-Saturday-Sund ay-91p2715.htm

We have had about a dozen phone all from people clicking the "Next Item" button and getting confused (instead of add to cart button). If we have had that many I wonder how many have not rang and just abondoned the process. I wonder how many customers i am loosing that way.

With the Commneting out

<%pcs_NextButtons%>

I am doing something wrong as once I do it the page does not work any more. Should i make the Gif files for the buttons jus one pixcel and white?

Peter
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2008 at 5:18pm
Hi,
  The key in commenting out the line is the ' (single quote - as done in Greg's post.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2008 at 6:28pm
Hi Peter,
      Looking at your site I would say the Next Item and Previous Item are useful for, say, comparing all the different regulators etc.

I think a better option may be to change the graphic for "Add to Cart" - I would make it bigger and brighter to get the customers to focus in on that as the main option to choose. Also - is "Add to Cart" the correct wording for the Australian market - perhaps chaging the wording would help.

This was you can leave the buttons where they are (less customisation) and guide customers eyes and fingers to the correct place.

abyss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2008 at 9:36pm

Thanks Guys,

I have put a bright red button on to the site, I will see how it gose!

I wonder how many customers I lost because the "next item"button confuses them.

Peter

Peter
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2008 at 5:00am
Hi Peter,
     I think that will do the job -even those with the narcs should hit the right button now !

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic