ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do I create Static Web pages using .asp?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackReefDesigns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I create Static Web pages using .asp?
    Posted: 07-June-2008 at 10:01am
Basically I need to create static web pages on my website, including an About Us, Contact Us, Customer Service, etc.  What I did was created the .html files absolute-linked them from the top nav, but when I upload them I obviously lose .asp features such as my ProductCart search box, etc.

How do I create static pages using .ASP so its part of the web page? if that makes sense

thanks
Joe S.
BlackReef.net
EarlJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EarlJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2008 at 12:43pm
Setting > Manage Content Pages

Here's the WIKI link
http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/productcart/settings-content-pages

Make sure to run Setting > Generate Navigation when you are finished, so the pages show on your navigation.
sdalan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2008 at 7:04pm

If you are making "standalone" pages of the root of your site (e.g, http://www.myweb.com/aboutus.asp), I recommend that you make a version of your head and footer files from the PC folder for in your root (some paths need to be edited). You can also just the ".asp" ending even if the file contains just HTML. No code to run, no foul.

BlackReefDesigns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackReefDesigns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2008 at 9:53pm
Thanks guys for the help -

EarlJ....I am using Static Absolute URLs for my Nav Links (mostly because I can't figure out the CSS code for the dynamic nav).  Are there any serious drawbacks to using static Nav as long as I manully keep it updated?
Joe S.
BlackReef.net
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2008 at 6:27am
Hi,
  Using the static navigation has no real drawbacks.
The only thing to remember is that you need to regenerate it when you add,  remove  or rename products/categories from your site.

The dynamic navigatio, of course, takes care of that for you, but it does have a small performance hit as it accesses the database each time to build the navigation.

Edited by Hamish - 08-June-2008 at 6:28am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackReefDesigns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2008 at 9:54pm
Cool - thanks everyone!
Joe S.
BlackReef.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackReefDesigns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2008 at 12:30am
Just curious, what lines must I edit in the header/footer.asp if I want to put the header/footer and content page in the root folder?

I created the content page in Dreamweaver and saved it as About.asp

Edited by BlackReefDesigns - 10-June-2008 at 12:50am
Joe S.
BlackReef.net
sdalan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2008 at 11:40am
You would need to edit the paths to include files mostly. I only include PC files when operating under the store/pc folder (I don't have the mini cart showing on the extra pages for example because we never got it to work).
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2008 at 12:19pm
Hi Joe,
     Have you looked into the SEO yet?
I believe if you use that there will be no advantage, if there is anyway, to moving the pages to the root, as they will appear to be there anyway.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic