ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Comments under picture closeup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Comments under picture closeup
    Posted: 10-June-2008 at 11:24am
I would be nice if a small text block can be added to the image closeup.  Things like "table not included in sale", "shown only in red option" or what ever can be added.  I certainly don't need it for every item, but sometimes it would be nice to have the comment option so I do not have to put it into the product description.
Katharina
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2008 at 3:56pm
Hi Katherina,
   Which one do you mean by "image closeup"
katharina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2008 at 9:59pm
For each product you have "standard" 3 images.  The thumbnail (small) for the listing of products, the regular (medium) one shown to the right on the products detail page, and the one pop-up (large) shown when you click under the image shown on the right side.

A message under the closeup that opens in the new window would be great.  Same for the additional image closeup.

Katharina  
Espressotec View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Espressotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2008 at 1:30pm
It would save us from having to writting over the pictures
katharina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2008 at 1:49pm
We have been doing that too, just to make sure.  Next you would get some customer calling and saying "But it was in the picture".    In one case we really had to put it onto the picture, because of a customer who cannot read the description.  It is amazing how many only picture shop and never read the "small print" even if you have it blink, in red, and oversized in text.  You can see an example of that at:
http://www.germanplaza.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=444&idproduct=2897
Katharina
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2008 at 4:40pm
I've looked into this further and there are several options.

Easiest by far, if there are only a few cases, is to have the words on the picture - you can make it LOOK as if they are not part of the picture by extending the picture downwards, with a strip of your background color at the bottom and the text in that strip.
If you upload the image sizes individually you could have the text on just one version of the picture if you so choose.

Another option is customisation of product cart & there are two approaches that spring to mind.

Cleanest :- Add fields to the database to hold the text and then amend the relevant admin and pc files to capture / display that text.

Cludgier (quite a bit) :- Leave the DB alone & add the text with a suitable "split" marker such as "|" to the fields that hold the images. This "solution" avoids DB changes but requires careful checking of which asp files will need amending & it will be in the  region of 90 files that will  need investigating. - This obviously then leads to a maintenace task when applying future upgrades as well .

Last, but not least, put in an enhancement request to Early Impact  - it may already be on their list, although you may have to wait quite a while  for it to bubble up through the list of priorities.

Anyone got any other thoughts / approaches?
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2008 at 12:14pm
I forgot to put the very easiest way of adding some text below the picture.
If your happy to go with a hard coded piece of text such as "For illustration purposes only!"...   Then look for :-

sub Pcs_ProductImage

in pc/viewPrdCode.asp  and/or (for the BTO pages) pc/configurePrdCode.asp

Within that look for :-

<% end if %>
    <%
    else
    '// B)  The image DOES NOT exist (show no_image.gif)
    %>       

and add lines like the following ones in bold.

<% end if %>
        <%  ' My_Change_Identifier - Added line of text below the picture. %>
        <tr><td>
          For illustration purposes only !

</td></tr>

<%
    else
    '// B)  The image DOES NOT exist (show no_image.gif)
    %>       

katharina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2008 at 12:17pm
Not a bad idea, but it would apply the same text to all products.  I may use this suggestion to add a copyright line to the large images.
Katharina
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2008 at 12:32pm
Hi Katharina,
       Yes, as you say, it would always be the same piece of text - using it as a place for a copyright notice is a pretty good idea.  I think for maximum "protection" it's best to "watermark" the images, in a subtle way of course. That way, even if they ignore the text and copy the image they take your copyright notice with it :-) 
There are quite a few tools & techniques for watermarking batches of images to make the process fairly aggravation free & speedy. 
katharina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2008 at 12:42pm
I don't really need any image protection, but I can see an artist using this for his/her protection.  Most of our images are from the manufacturer or we have taken some with the digital cam.  I don't worry about anyone copying them.  Plus some of our retailers like to download them to use with there catalog or whatever.   Watermarks are a good idea for those that care about their images.  You still see the watermark, and I have seen other sites putting their URL over the images.  This can sometimes distract from the product.  There are tools that put some code into the image itself and allow the track down of the image.  They do cost money and their protection is limited when it comes to countries.  I personally think most retailers do not care to much about their images.  As an artist I would opt for the watermark only approach.  For me I like the copyright idea on any page that comes up, even if it is only an enlargement page.  I may add our contact info to it.
Katharina
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic