FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wholesale products

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wholesale products
    Posted: 13-August-2008 at 9:05pm
Well, it's probably not something easily detailed here in terms of precise direction, but it sounds like you are only speaking of a couple "display only" places where this would appear.  If you are comfortable with code, it's not going to be exactly rocket science to dig into the code and make the adjustments to do what you are asking so long as you are careful not to interfere with other functionality.
AlanMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2008 at 8:49pm
Related to this topic (kinda)- I sell wholesale only on my site, but I want to be able to have PC show my customers savings between my WHOLESALE list price and the SPECIAL price ("you save $x.xx) when I put stuff on sale at wholesale prices but lower. PC doesn't allow this feature for the wholesale B2B web seller. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? Appreciate some pointers!
Thanks,
Alan
katharina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2008 at 1:50pm
No not at all.  Just create the wholesale categories and then click on the link add products.  They can be shown in both retail and wholesale categories with the same sku. 
Katharina
john123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2008 at 1:45pm

So does this mean I need to create another set of product ID's for a wholesale category?In other words, duplicate products?

katharina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2008 at 11:53am
By default you will see the retail category before login.  After login the retail customer will still only see the retail category.  The wholesale customer will see both after login.  Below in a table format.
No login:
retail customer - retail categories
wholesale customer - retail categories
After login:
retail customer - retail categories
wholesale customer - retail and wholesale categories

So there is no way of hiding the retail categories to the wholesale customer.  But that is not the point I think.  I think the idea is to have a clean look to the wholesale customer without having to weed through products.  For that it will work well.
Katharina
john123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2008 at 11:42am
Hi Katharina,

Just to clarify...

If I create 2 categories (Retail and Wholesale) the wholesale customer will still see the Retail category, correct?
katharina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2008 at 11:18am
Hi, Harmish.  It would be foulish to hide the retail pricing form the wholesale customer.  They will find your prices anyway.  The point is for example you have 10,000 products, but only 500 have wholesale pricing.  (I think that was what the original poster was after.)  It would be hard for the wholesale customer to weed through them to find wholesale products.  Creating a category that is only visible to wholesalers after loggin, as I've said before, is the best solution.  That is currently in place.  I simply had the suggestion to perhaps enhance this a step further to give more options to the category, by offering to show categories to wholesale, retail, or both.  You are right with the question what to show to those not logged in.  My answer would be retail.  Perhaps something to be set in the store settings.
Katharina
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2008 at 11:03am
Of course, if your savings for wholesale customers is significant - then having them see what a great deal they are getting is a good thing! :-)

Hi John,  I just re-read your original question & yes - It's possible to hide items from LOGGED IN wholesale customers (on ProductCart pages).
The way I would achieve this is add products which are available to Wholesale customers  to  a set of categories which are Wholesale ONLY and then show different menus of products depending on whether the customer is a Wholesale customer or not.  Products can belong to more than one category. It would take some customisation to achieve, but from memory, not a huge amount.

Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2008 at 10:50am
Hi Katharina,
   The big issue here is - What is someone who is not logged in?
I can't really see any alternative than treating them as a retail customer at that point. It's certainly possible, with a fairly small amount of customisation, to hide retail products from wholesale customers AFTER they have logged in, but until that point there is no way of distinguishing them from the rest of the customers, they are just an anonymous surfer like everyone else.

One option is to run a separate site, or a sub-site, which requires login and is dedicated to your wholesale customers only. I believe you can run off the same DB, but I've never done this myself. 
If you set up the website navigation in a suitable manner it's  possible to guide your wholesale customers to  sign-in at the very beginning to visit the wholesale side of the store, but I very much doubt it's possible to prevent them seeing your retail store. 
An analogy is a physical store. Any store open to the public is, by it's very nature, open to everyone, wholesale clients, rivals, anyone. 
Some physical stores are "Trade Only" and you need membership to access them. Some companies operate both types, but often do so under different brand names.

On PC as it stands, what wholesale customers DO SEE is the difference in price that they are getting from retail customers (if the product has a retail price), for example :-
Price: £99.99
List Price: £109.99
Wholesale Price: £55.55

It would be possible to hide the retail and/or list price with a small amount of customisation for LOGGED IN wholesale customers.

As always, it comes down to the particular circumstances of each company :-)

katharina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2008 at 9:58am
I've played around this issue too.  We do wholesale, but not all items qualify for wholesale either.  For now we are telling wholesale customers what categories are retail priced only.  A way around it would be creating a new category called "Wholesale Items Only" and make this only visible to logged in wholesale customers.  They still see the other categories, so it does not address it completely.  I guess giving another option for categories to show to either retail, wholesale or both would be a solution.  I hope EI picks up on it, since this seems to be not to far fetched from what is in place.
Katharina
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic