ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Post is a Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zarduzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Post is a Question
    Posted: 18-January-2009 at 10:36am
Cry I am using product cart and I have some questions about making some things work.  I have searched the forums and can't quite seem to find the answer. 

The first question is this.  When I click on a parent category on the main page I have my sub-categories listed with pictures.  It looks great but my concern is this.  How can I only show the sub-categories and not the pictures of the parent category.  Lets say I have an "Earrings" category and have 6 sub-categories like "Clip-On" and "Rhinestone", I just want to show the 6 sub-categories with pictures and not the 6 sub-categories and "Featured products under Earrings" pictures.  I can't seem to get rid of the pictures without having an error appear on the website.

And the second question is how can I add the "Featured Products" option to the main page of the website.  Right now I have New Arrivals and Hot Sellers, but no matter what I try I can't seem to get the featured products to show up. 

When I first started to run this website, it was already up and running by another man who's primary language is Korean and I have no idea how to speak Korean or understand what he is trying to say.  There was no title to the web page or any meta-tags or keywords or descriptions.  There were, it seemed, to be an infinite number of categories and sub-categories.  I cleaned the whole website up and made it more uniform as well as adding a title and remaining meta-tags to the page.  So I have been trying to get information on the using product cart and running it.  Any help from forum members or admins will very much be appreciated.  Thanks again in advance.

P.S.
If anyone knows a thread that answers my questions can shoot it to me Smile
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2009 at 10:54am
For #1, please go to the "display settings" section of the admin (settings, display settings) and look at the category display settings:
  •  Display items horizontally, with images
  •  Display items vertically
  •  Display items vertically (list view)
  •  Display items vertically (list view) with the ability to add multiple products to the cart in one step.

For #2, go to (marketing, manage featured products) and select those products you wish to feature.  Then go to (marketing, manage  home page) and edit "products to show".

Feel free to ask more questions.
zarduzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zarduzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2009 at 11:34am
Hello Greg and thanks for the quick response. 

First thing is, when I went to the display settings, I tried all of the settings and none of them let me show only the sub-categories.  Now that I look at my first post, I realize that I was not clear.  I'm sorry about this.  What I'm trying to do is, from the main page I have my parent categories on the left side in a list, with the ability to push the " + " button next to it and show the sub-categories under it in a list.  Example:

[+]Rings
[+]Earrings

If you push on the "+" (plus sign), it shows a list of the sub-categories like so.

[-]Rings
    Adjustable Rings
    Designer Inspired Rings
    Rhinestone and Crystal Rings
[-]Earrings
    All Other Earrings
    Chandelier Earrings
    Etc..

I have modified the Parent Categories and under the "Display Settings and Other Settings", I have the "Display Subcategories" tab selected to "In a List, with Images".
So when you click on the Parent Category Earrings on the main page, it takes you to the Sub-Categories page that shows all the sub-categories listed with images showing like "Adjustable Rings" and "Rhinestone and Crystal Rings" with the thumbnails.  But under the sub-categories on the same page, there is a bunch of pictures with the heading, "Featured Products under Earrings".  I don't want it to show any of these "Featured Products under Earrings", but only show the Sub-Category listing with pictures.

I have removed all the products from the Parent Category "Earrings", but I left them in the Sub-Categories.  I might be wrong in assuming that what I am asking can't be done, but I thought I should ask anyway.  Again sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance to everyone who responds.

Edited by zarduzi - 18-January-2009 at 11:34am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2009 at 11:52am
ok, let's stay with one category and get that working, then you can replicate that on other categories.  Looking at this page in your site, there are products listed under the subcategory images, and you want those products to NOT appear:

You are on the right track.  This is occurring because those products have been assigned to both the top-level (rings) category, as well as the respective subcategories.  You need to make sure they are removed from the top-level or Parent category.  I know you state you have done that, but the display makes me wonder if that is so.

This thread from last week included some handy tips about reassigning products to categories. http://www.earlyimpact.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2334
zarduzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zarduzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2009 at 1:39pm
I was looking through the viewcategories.asp and read:

"else ' ELSE IF-1: there are products or sub-categories

if intSubCatExist = 1 then
            ' If there are products AND subcategories, then products are considered
            ' "featured" products within the category and are shown above the subcategories"

Is this what is making it impossible for me to not have the items appear?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2009 at 1:58pm
Plenty of stores are configured as you have described your desire to configure yours.

If you feel that a code issue is the underlying cause of your trouble, which I personally doubt, then you may want wish to submit a support ticket.  Before doing that you may wish to make certain you are running unaltered code on the viewCategories.asp page as EI will be unable to assist you if the site was altered in a manner that it affects normal operation.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic