FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SEO Mod Issues after Home.asp moved?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SEO Mod Issues after Home.asp moved?
    Posted: 26-March-2009 at 1:35pm

The only trick here is that where the WIKI instructions reference the path to viewprd.asp, you need to be watching for <%=pcStrPrdLink%> instead.  It's not a big deal.

DonnaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2009 at 1:24pm
Thanks for the information, Greg. I have actually already moved my home.asp page to the root folder (last year) so that part is already done and working well. I was concerned that this home page modification to my site would cause problems when I attempted my SEO mod. From reading your response it would seem that  the answer is yes, it will affect my store unless I first modify the new SEO files appropriately and put them in the proper folder as outlined in the original home.asp move instructions. I will proceed with caution on this one. Thanks
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2009 at 10:42am
Your observation is correct about the redundant files that are involved in the home page move and SEO mod install.  As a result, it is my practice to do the SEO mod first and get that running correctly.  Then I move the home page to the root.

The only part of the SEO mod that takes a bit of time, assuming your store contains no mods that have to be re-applied into the SEO-related pages, is creating the custom 404 error page.  I like to do that as the very first step so that when I install the SEO pages, that part is done and waiting for me.

In a live store, the way to accomplish the second step (moving the home.asp to the root) with the minimum of customer impact is to retain all of your navigation linkage pointing to /productcart/pc/home.asp etc.  That means there is probably a file in the root (such as index.html or default.html) that redirects to the /pc/home.asp page.

Now begin performing the home page move, knowing that nobody will try to get to the root version of home.asp because they don't know it is there.  When you know that it is working, download and then delete that current (root) home page (default.html or index.html as mentioned above) with the redirect, then rename the root home.asp to default.asp or index.asp, whatever your server is set for as a default document.

Be sure to note that when you move the SEO-altered pages to the root, that you will need to insert your "/productcart/pc/" or "/store/pc/" path into the <a href= tags wherever you see a reference to <%=pcStrPrdLink%> as this is the new file path which the SEO mod generates.

Edited by Greg Dinger - 26-March-2009 at 10:44am
DonnaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2009 at 9:16am
I am considering implementing the SEO mod instructions supplied by ProductCart and am trying to anticipate any issues with this procedure.  I have previously moved my home.asp file to the root of my site as my hoem page, index.asp.  As part of that procedure, I also had to move several other files to the root of my directory (eg. homecode.asp, pcshowproductH.asp etc). I noticed that some of the files that I have already moved to my root are included among the new files that are downloaded to my PC directory as part of the SEO Mod instructions. I am assuming that they will again have to be modified and moved to the root of the directory but see no reference or warnings regarding this included in the SEO Mod instructions. Please confirm is this is the case. This is a live store and I would like to keep down time (and surprises) to a minimum when implementing the SEO Mod. Thanks for your advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic