ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Add extra shipping at product level

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dockgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Add extra shipping at product level
    Posted: 02-June-2009 at 10:01am
Hey guys,

Figured I would request this again.  Been asking for about 4 years now, and I know others would like to see this feature too.

It would be nice to have the ability to add an additional blind shipping fee at the product level - on the first unit added to the cart.  This is useful for those who use the shipping tables and need to add (or subtract) an additional shipping amount on a per product basis.  Well, this could be useful for anyone adding shipping costs during checkout.  Sometimes you have products that may have similar prices, but the shipping cost can vary dramatically.... because one may be a gps unit and the other could be a 7ft long dock box that ships freight... same price, but dramatically different shipping costs.  Using a percentage in your shipping table could allow you to set the percentage low, so shipping is right on the gps unit, but then add $100 to the dock box product to cover the extra costs for shipping it freight.  This all needs to happen blindly behind the scenes - just like adding the blind handling fee (except we add the extra shipping at the per product level).

I actually had Iron Hammer do a mod a few years ago that allows me to do this.  But, it's quite the pain to have to carry the mods over each time a new PC version is released.  It would be nice if PC added this functionality.  Folks have asked for quite some time - I read through the forum on a regular basis and have for years.  There's plenty of others who could use this.

Thanks!

Jeff

Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2009 at 11:46am
ProductCart has built in support for handling products of excess size or weight. I'm unclear as to whether what you are asking for is different from this and if so, how. 
hlwilson3rd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hlwilson3rd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2009 at 12:19pm
I second this request!

Thanks,
H.L.
dockgear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dockgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2009 at 11:22pm
Thanks for the response.  That won't work for those who use the custom shipping tables.... using percentages of an order amount etc etc.  I don't use weights or package sizes.  There's no way to know until it's actually packed and I don't use realtime shipping because it's too unpredictable in the rates that are returned.  Using the custom tables and having the ability to add or subtract an additional shipping amount on a per product basis for the first unit added to the cart would be a blessing for many of us.  The way I have it on the product mod or add new product page, there's an additional field below the Cost or Wholesale field that says "Additional Shipping" - that's where I type in the extra shipping which is added to the shipping rate only on the first unit added.

Like I said in my first post, I had Iron Hammer do a mod for me a few years ago - it was a simple mod across several admin pages and of course the storefront pages related to ordering and shipping (had to mod PayPal and Google since I also use those payment methods - the added shipping has to be added prior to sending the order over to PP or Google).  It was a little code and a new data base field which was added to existing queries in the sql statments on the moded pages.  This could be easily implemented in a next release.  It takes me about 30 minutes to carry it over when there's a new PC release.

This is an easy one that could be added quickly.

Thanks!

Jeff
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic