ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Search Engine Optimization
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SEO files - already got custom 404

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SEO files - already got custom 404
    Posted: 11-July-2009 at 5:19am
Hi All,

I'm trying to install the SEO files on one my customers sites but I've run into a problem and hope someone can help me out.

This customer is using a wordpress blog which I have customised to match the design of the website. The blog has become the 'news' pages and seamlessly integrates with the rest of his site. So the site has static pages, productcart and wordpress.

The customer wanted the news pages to have mod rewrite and because I'm running wordpress on my windows server I've had to use a workaround that is similar to the way producarts SEO files work - using a 404 error handler.

So I already have a custom 404 page setup in IIS for the wordpress part of the site.

Any suggestions?

Nigel
Innerview
Productcart Platinum Reseller
Web Design/Hosting/Virtual Tours
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2009 at 9:49am
Nigel, I'm not sure this will work, but give it a shot.  When you are in IIS, you can not only set a custom error handler on the site but you can do so at the individual folder level.  Try assigning 404.asp to the ProductCart folder (or the PC folder) and see if that works for you.

Would you please post the results here as I may need to do the same thing soon, for a very similar reason.  I just have not yet been asked by the client to do so, but I anticipate the request for pretty much the same reason as your requirement.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2009 at 9:37pm
Hi Greg and Nigel,

Yes, this is exactly what to do. In IIS drill down to the subdirectory storing the blog and set the custom 404 for that subdirectory. Let's say the blog is in /blog/ -- set the custom 404 to /blog/wp-404-handler.php and and then in the WordPress control panel under Settings -> Permalinks set "Custom Structure" to /%category%/%postname%/ and you're all set.
intour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2009 at 4:24pm
Hi Greg and Sean,

Many thanks for your comments - worked a treat !!

I did exactly as you suggested - set the custom 404 error handler on the root to deal with productcart and then added another one at the folder level. In this case the folder is called news which is in fact a wordpress blog. Both show the full URL's.

You are welcome to have a look at it here.

The drop down menu links still show in the old 'viewcategories.asp' style at the moment because they are hard coded into the menu but if you click on any of the category images themselves you will see the SEO friendly URL appear.

When you clcik on 'news' and any of the right handlinks there you will see the wordpress custom-404-handler in action which uses php.

I didn't need to reset anything in wordpress because it was already setup.

Nigel
Innerview
Productcart Platinum Reseller
Web Design/Hosting/Virtual Tours
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic