ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart Build To Order > Customizing BTO
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interesting questions on customizing BTO!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2007 at 1:11am

My first post after recently purchasing Productcart BTO.  Just sinking my teeth into it now and no doubt I'll be a regular contributor to these forums over the coming weeks.

I came across this post because it appears that thedeacon may have solved one of those niggly little problems that seems to occur on a BTO configuration page with option selection and images displayed.

Originally posted by thedeacon thedeacon wrote:

I even fixed this wierd spacing issue in the BTO configuration options that kept popping up

I have noticed that each selection seems to be spaced weirdly until the customer chooses one of them and then they are all instantly brought back in line again.

I know this post dates back a bit but I am hoping thedeacon may be able to share his fix for this (if it was the same problem ??)

Many Thanks

Matt

thedeacon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thedeacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2007 at 1:49am

Hi Mattprice,

That issue is even wierder than the one I was having.  My issue was just that in Firefox, everything looked doubled spaced, as the <p> tag looks like a double space in firefox and a single space in IE.  I just changed them all to <br><br> instead (since all the paragraphs were the same class anyways).  I don't even think I've had to do that anymore either.

I'm sure your issue is easily fixed though; may I have the URL of your page?  If you don't want to post it here, you could mail it to richard@hipepc.com

Thanks! :)

mattprice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2007 at 2:56am

Hi Richard,

Only a few hours in the making so theres not much of a site to show but you can see the issue on this configuration :-

If I select an option (in I.E 5 at least) then the spacing is pulled back in line between options.... very strange.

Edited by mattprice - 09-June-2007 at 11:30am
thedeacon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thedeacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2007 at 5:48am

No worries at all Matt, we've got it sorted for you :)

The short version is there's not enough space in the row.  But that leaves us with more questions than answers.

Mind my half asleep silliness while I explain what's going on -

To the right of each of those covertypeface options, there's an invisible field that would normally hold the price of each upgrade option.  Since there's no price for the options and since the .css doesn't specify a width for that transparent field, it just sticks a blank input field at its default size, which is like 200 px wide. 

Since there's not enough room for that 200px field on the first line, it creates a second line to stick that invisible input field on.

When you click on of the radio buttons, that transparent field goes away, which is is why everything looks right as rain when you click an option.

You've got a few choices here (pretend I'm Monty Hall with three doors....God, I miss Monty Hall)

1) You could reduce the width of your pictures

2) You could shorten the text

or

3) You could specify a fixed with for the tag

#pcMain .transparentField {

in your pcstorefront.css file.  Add a line in that tag that says

width: 50px;

And it fixes the problem.  BUT!  There's a couple of minor caveats with door #3 (remember when door #3 on Let's Make a Deal had a donkey or something?  God, I loved those episodes....you think they had to give the donkey to the contestant?)

1) #pcMain .transparentField is used in other areas of your site.  If you notice something looks strange or misaligned after you make that change, that tag may be your culprit.

2) If you ever ad in an upgrade option with a high dollar amount (oh I dunno, maybe $3,000,000 or so), 50px will not be big enough to show the entire price and part of it will get cut off.

If you're nervous about changing the css tag, drop me an email and Ill reply back with the modified pcstorefront.css I made for you.  Let me know if you run into any other issues :)

mattprice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2007 at 6:40am

Many thanks Richard,

Lets make a Deal didnt make it to the UK but we had a similar Gameshow called "Take your Pick" dating back to the 50's so I think I know where you are coming from...

Rather than walk away with the donkey I chose the easy option and reduced the text and it fixed the problem.

Thanks again for your help.  If I end up with a site that looks half as good as www.hipepc.com I will be chuffed to bits.

Matt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic