ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Migrating to a new Host: GoDaddy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2009 at 10:55am
Originally posted by netprofits netprofits wrote:

Please here me (and the others). We are not tryig to be facetious but you really do get what you pay for. GoDaddy is very cheap and for an ecommerce site, that is NOT a good thing. You will spend more time (and money in wasted time) using them than you would paying a little more with a quality hosting service that supports Product Cart.

Hi there, I do appreciate the feedback on GoDaddy. However, we will be sticking with them unless a switch is absolutely necessary to sort out the problem (we have yet to explore all the options to sort out this issue while adhering to our current restrictions). Additionally, our site's primary function is not commerce.

Edited by ian - 01-December-2009 at 11:07am
ybravo12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ybravo12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2009 at 11:31am
Before Early Impact told me not to use GoDaddy, I chose GoDaddy for the price, not really knowing where to go prior to that.  After many frustrating hurdles and support tickets, I am now with Jolt Digital, their service is fantastic, they know Product Cart, and support is instant.  If you take a look at their pricing, very reasonable.  Today, I am on a VPS with them hosting three sites.  Looking back, picking a developer that puts Product Cart as their business, offers hosting and support is even a better opportunity for people like me that always need extra help.  Thank you Shannon with Jolt Digital, Greg Dinger with GreyBeard Design, and Sean Connors with WMS Merchant Services for helping people like me that just want to run their business and need guidance in this area.
Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2009 at 11:36am

Your web.config is incorrect, which is why you have a 500 on every page.

It should be "system.webServer".

Also, you comment with a single ', not /*

So fix those two things and you should get a real error message.  Also, search the forum for GoDaddy because someone else just moved to them and posted their solution to a similar issue.
ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2009 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Your web.config is incorrect, which is why you have a 500 on every page.

It should be "system.webServer".

Also, you comment with a single ', not /*

So fix those two things and you should get a real error message.  Also, search the forum for GoDaddy because someone else just moved to them and posted their solution to a similar issue.

Hi there Matt,

I've fixed the error with the "web.config" file, it now looks like:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
  <system.webServer>
<httpErrors errorMode="Detailed" />
  </system.webServer>
</configuration>

And, now I'm getting the following error printed out, instead of the 500 - Internal Server Error:

Quote An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.

Note: This is without the edit to "opendb.asp"

Another person had this same error, unfortunately, they did not post the solution: http://www.earlyimpact.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3102 (is this the thread you were referring to, Matt?).

I'm contacting GoDaddy to have them change the necessary settings so that detailed error messages are sent to the browser. I will post an update once I do that.

Additional Information: We are able to log-in to the ProductCart Control Panel. It's the storefront register/login/more details pages that are returning errors.

Edited by ian - 01-December-2009 at 12:25pm
ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2009 at 1:40pm
After spending some time on the phone with Adolfo, an extremely patient and persistent support staff member, we were able to get the detailed errors to show up.

This is one of the errors:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query.

/store/XXXXX/viewPrd.asp, line 76

Line 76 is:

set rs=conntemp.execute(query)

Any ideas? I'm looking into what the cause might be, myself, too.

Edited by ian - 01-December-2009 at 1:47pm
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2009 at 1:44pm
You need to set the correct permissions on the folder where your Access database is located.
ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2009 at 2:02pm
Hi again Greg,

The folder appeared to have the appropriate permissions set in my ftp client, but I went in to GoDaddy's file manager and did it from there. The result: the store seems to work! We're still having issues with the register/login, but that might be related to the SSL certificate. We're looking into that at the moment.

I'll post all the details of how we got this working once it's all good. Things are looking up!

Thanks again for your help.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2009 at 2:33am
Ok, I'm "Seany" come lately to this; been very busy and wish I could have jumped in earlier on this.

At this point, I would like to echo the comments others have made here about GoDaddy hosting (in hopes that others will benefit from the advise of all the rest of us here): In my experience, GoDaddy is no place for a business to host a site. They are ok for something like a vanity site, but a business site requires a host that understands applications such as ProductCart -- their are complexities here that the queue card-reading support idiot at GoDaddy can't handle. Like GBDG, we too simply refuse to work with anyone hosted at GoDaddy as they are just too much of a pain and really have no idea what they are doing with applications as complex as shopping carts such as ProductCart. Yeah, they are cheap, but then again they are also cheap (using both connotations of the word here). Is your business so cheap that you can't afford a decent host? There are many here, both hosting companies such as JoltDigital and "beautique" hosts such as GBDG.

Further, I'd like to echo Mark Shipp here re: running a store on an Access db. There are potentional security issues here, and as Greg Dinger has pointed out there are capacity issues here (Acess is a file -- so it can only perform one transaction at a time, say add, edit or delete; while it's doing each transaction, it writes a lock file. It can do this maybe upto 12-20 times per second max under optimal conditions. What's more, occassionally this .ldb files does not get released, and then the whole application comes crashing down). Running a store on Access is simply are really bad idea.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic