ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Categories in Product Import from Spreadsheet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prestonbrooks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Categories in Product Import from Spreadsheet
    Posted: 03-March-2010 at 2:34pm
New user question. Been scouring the documentation and I can't seem to find this. I have already set up my Categories, which nest 4 levels deep. I am now importing Products. I can easily import the categories I want for products that are in categories that only nest 2 levels by using "Category name" and "Parent Category" in the Products import spreadsheet. What I can't figure out is a way to describe 3rd or 4th level categories using these same fields. For example, if a book is in the Categories Fiction>Youth I can list those as the "Category name" and "Parent Category" and the categories import just fine. But how would I import the category information for a book which was in the Fiction>Youth>Pre-School third tier category. Simply listing the Parent as Youth and the Category as Pre-School won't work, because that same tree exists under the top-level Non-Fiction category.
Any help would be much appreciated as it far faster to import the category info with the products rather then manually configure in PC.
Thanks
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 2:41pm

Could you temporarily rename the tiers so that your example of "Pre-School" becomes "Pre-School2", thus you hit the correct category, then rename the categories after the importing is complete?

prestonbrooks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prestonbrooks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 2:43pm
Greg:
Good thought. I'll run a test with that and see if i can make it work. Thanks for taking time to post.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic