ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Multi-web site capability

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nithros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multi-web site capability
    Posted: 04-August-2006 at 2:49pm
We need the capability to support multiple web sites with one ProductCart application instead of having to buy and maintain mulitple copies of the software. 
MarkCoyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkCoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2006 at 7:49pm
This is generally standard for most cart systems.  It might be worth checking out their Reseller status.

Alternatively you could run one store but set up multiple brands and have this linking in to the customers as an interim step.

cheers
Mark
Nithros View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nithros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2006 at 8:07am

I'm not sure that is a solution.  We already have multiple brands.  The next site will also have multiple brands and so on.  Searches and other ProductCart functions have no differentiation though and mingles everything together whereas we want the separation.

sawan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sawan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2006 at 8:18am

Hi Nithros,

Do you think this is official? If I try to use the same cart in other site, but try to figure out how to use same DB, do i still have to purchase other liscense?

Regards,
Sawan

Sawan S Ruparel
Nithros View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nithros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2006 at 9:18am

Even if that was legal it wouldn't be a solution for us.  We are not trynig to get out of buying the software since it is relatively inexpensive compared to the money we spend modifying it. What we want is separation within the DB. If you look in some of the tables you'll see store I.D. and if this was in all of the tables and the software (SQL) accessed them by store I.D., you'd have what we want.

I guess it would be possible to use a single copy of the software and have mulitple back end databases (for store separation) and simply add logic to the storeconstants.asp to differentiate between sites on the DSN to the database. If we did this for multiple sites, we would definitely pay for multiple licenses since these are cheap (and we want to remain legal) even though we wouldn't be using them in the normal fashion.

sawan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sawan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2006 at 10:04am

Hi,

I was asking for legal issues, because i wanted to know about it myself.

Originally posted by Nithros Nithros wrote:

I guess it would be possible to use a single copy of the software and have mulitple back end databases (for store separation) and simply add logic to the storeconstants.asp to differentiate between sites on the DSN to the database. If we did this for multiple sites, we would definitely pay for multiple licenses since these are cheap (and we want to remain legal) even though we wouldn't be using them in the normal fashion.

This seems to be a viable solution, and can be implemented easily.

Regards,

Sawan S Ruparel
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2006 at 11:48am

In order to clear up any confusion, here is Early Impact's licensing policy:

ProductCart is licensed "per database" -- not per domain.  This means that you could have multiple domains pointing to the same site/store... all the sharing the same database (products, categories, customers, etc.).  If you need stores with different products and categories, then you would need to purchase additional licenses.  If you need to purchase multiple licenses, please contact us for information on end-user discounts.

The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
sawan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sawan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 1:23am

Thanks for informing this.

Regards,

Sawan S Ruparel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic