ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parent Categories and Featured Products

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote St_Pierce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parent Categories and Featured Products
    Posted: 28-April-2010 at 9:52am
Hi All,

I'm trying to use the featured product option in V4 and for the most part I have it working fine for what I want it to do except one strange thing is occuring....

I have several parent categories setup with sub-categories under them.  When I click on (parent category A) it has 3 featured products and they are displayed under the sub-categories at the bottom of the page - everythings fine!

(parent category B) has 0 featured products assigned, but when I click on the parent link to view sub-categories - and here is the problem... all the products assigned to the parent category are beeing displayed as "featured products" even though for that category no products are assigned as featured. 

I must be missing something, I compared the parent categories and they seem to be setup the same.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
St_Pierce
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2010 at 12:06pm
If the following does not answer your question, would you please post a link so we can respond to that rather than just a description of the perceived issue? 

When  you assign products as well as subcategories to a category, the products that appear at that level are described as "featured".  

I can see where you would find this misleading, since "featured" is the flag that is used to cause products to appear on the home page or "featured products" page, but there is clearly a distinction. 

You can change the word "featured" in the languages file. 
St_Pierce View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote St_Pierce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2010 at 8:46am

Thanks Greg,

The products were assigned to the parent (top-level) category and to their respective sub-categories.  Once I removed the parent category assignment, they only displayed when they were selected as a "featured product" which is what I wanted.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic