ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a "No Customer Accounts" setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a "No Customer Accounts" setup
    Posted: 14-August-2006 at 10:45pm

I'm looking into Product Cart for use with the school I work for.  Their specs are such that they want  a system where a user must fill out their information every time a purchase is made (in this case specific classes).

User don't need to log in at all, will not store data that they can access, and will have to fill in address and payment info each time.  The data will be accessible by us via the backend though.

My Question: Is this something that would be easy to setup.  I've looked through some of the documentation and the knowledge base and it seems to suggest so.  But I also saw an area that said something like this would require some ASP knowledge.  I have some ASP knowledge...  some.  Before I recommend purchasing this system (which looks heads and tails above other cart systems) I want to know I can do this...  because it's going to fall to me to do... hell or high water.

Thanks!
MarkCoyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkCoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2006 at 9:38am

Hmmm.  Out of the box you do need to have an account to order.  It can be set with a toggle not to have a password but the help says

'Note that even when this feature is on, a customer account is created as an order cannot be saved to the database without saving customer information. A random password is added to the customer account and the customer will be able to retrieve it, if they ever wish to do so (e.g. to log in and check the status of an order or track a package).'

Unless an account is created your order won't appear in the backend.

This therefore would involve working on the ASP in a fairly substantial way unless another user or EarlyImpact know how to do it easily.

cheers

Mark

pants View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2006 at 11:13am
Thanks, Mark.  My thought was to perhaps hide the options for people to login or find their accounts.  If they have to fill in their info each time and don't see options to request passwords or other such business, I don't mind that the info is saved on the backend.  I also think I read that customer usernames were set to their email address when an option was set.

I'm confident enough with coding to go in a hide links I don't want people to see.  I just want to make sure that's all I would need to do. 

I would prefer a nice little checkbox somewhere though.

sean

Originally posted by MarkCoyle MarkCoyle wrote:

Hmmm.  Out of the box you do need to have an account to order.  It can be set with a toggle not to have a password but the help says

'Note that even when this feature is on, a customer account is created as an order cannot be saved to the database without saving customer information. A random password is added to the customer account and the customer will be able to retrieve it, if they ever wish to do so (e.g. to log in and check the status of an order or track a package).'

Unless an account is created your order won't appear in the backend.

This therefore would involve working on the ASP in a fairly substantial way unless another user or EarlyImpact know how to do it easily.

cheers

Mark

MarkCoyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkCoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2006 at 4:57am

I think the problem would come in that a customer account would be set up if they do a purchase whether they see it or not.

When they then come to order next time and type in the email address, it would be found in the database and they would be told 'this customer is already registered'.

cheers

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic