ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Search Engine Optimization
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

404 SEO and product name change

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtualimage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 404 SEO and product name change
    Posted: 20-September-2010 at 11:57am
Hi Everybody,

Here's the issue. We've set up the custom 404 error page which works fine. We changed the name of a few products in the store. When browsing through store categories, everything works fine. When doing a search however, the results produce error pages on all of the changed products (the URL is different as well).

Do I have to reindex the PC search? I don't see any option to do so. Am I missing something?

I'm running v 3.51

Thanks!

Q
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2010 at 12:34pm
No reindex should be needed.  May we please have a URL?
virtualimage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtualimage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2010 at 12:40pm
Sorry about that, Greg. Meant to post.

Here's a working URL where all the products have been updated:

http://www.woodfloorsandstairsdirect.com/store/pc/Maple-Antique-5-c129.htm

Here's a search result on the same product: http://www.woodfloorsandstairsdirect.com/store/pc/showsearchresults.asp?pageStyle=H&resultCnt=16&keyword=Maple+-+Antique+-+5%22+-+Country
virtualimage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtualimage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2010 at 1:32pm
Well, I think I may have found the issue. I'm not too familiar with Windows servers but Linux there's a function callled CRON JOB which will run a specific script at a predefined interval.

The broken links I listed above are now working properly and the URL has updated. I just made another change as well and now those links are broken.

It seems as though the search index isn't automatically updated. Is that possible?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2010 at 1:35pm
I think Early Impact may want to have a look at this.

Here is product id 301

When one clicks on the product from the search results, the only difference is that the category id (URL is pointing to Maple-Antique-5-Country-39p301.htm) is 39 instead of 129, but that could simply mean that the product is assigned to more than one category.  Other than that they seem to match, and clearly clicking on the search results fails to render a good product page.

Is there any chance you would care to upgrade to v4?  The advantage in this regard is that EI integrated the SEO mod into v4 as a switch-selectable code, and if you have inadvertently detected a but, it's going to be a lot more likely to get resolved in v4 than in v3.
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2010 at 1:57pm
We see category 129 in the URL from the search results as well. Still, even if the category was another category that the product had been assigned to, the page should have been loaded just fine. What was the issue?
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2010 at 2:24pm
When I clicked on the product from the search results page earlier, I got an error indicating that the product was no longer available.

virtualimage - we really need you to give us links that are failing when you report an issue please.
patschraier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patschraier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2010 at 6:58pm
I am having the same problem with an additional strange thing. All of a sudden, the SEO links to the products (not the content pages) are not working. Here is the example: go to www.torihartman.com and use the search box to search "Stone of Truth" Click on any of the products and there is an error message that it cannot find the product in the database.
Any ideas of how to fix this?
Pat Schraier
www.patriciaschraier.com
patschraier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patschraier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2010 at 11:54am
I fixed the problem by re-uploading the SEO files (doing a side by side compare first) and I found that there were some changes since I last uploaded them. Should of thought of that first!
Pat Schraier
www.patriciaschraier.com
Bosola 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosola 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2011 at 9:19am
Ah, yeah. That's what it usually is. The most simple little things. ;-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic