ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart Add-on's > Apparel Add-on
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SKU/Parent SKU fields

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaiBritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SKU/Parent SKU fields
    Posted: 06-October-2010 at 2:49pm
Importing Sub Products: The first two fields to map when importing sub product are SKU and Parent Product SKU.

Are these two fields supposed to contain the same data?

If so, Why?

If not, What goes into the SKU field.

The import works with these two fields populated equally, however, the Price differential is not showing up.

I do not understand how the parent/child relationship is made.
Bob
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2010 at 1:57am
SKU is the part number, which is often unique for each sub-product (e.g. apparel items of different colors and sizes).

For more information on how the Apparel Add-on is structured, please refer to the documentation. Please see:
http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/apparel_add-on/apparel_add-on#technical_notes_troubleshooting
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
MaiBritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaiBritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2010 at 10:30am
Wow, that is some response.

A SKU is supposed to be unique by definition, can anyone explain how product cart works without it being unique?

I have been back and forth through the Wiki documentation. It is too often ambiguous or inaccurate to be considered anything close to reliable.

(I did get the differential to show up).

Any help would be appreciated.
Bob
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2010 at 10:41am
<<<A SKU is supposed to be unique by definition>>>
Yes, and that is precisely what the Apparel add-on does.   It's really not that hard, but you have to understand the concept of subproducts.

Say you have a shirt that has 3 colors and 3 sizes.  That means you will eventually have 9 subproducts.

Each product option may have a code associated with it.  So let's say we have these 3 colors that each have a 2-digit code

Red=rd
White=wh
Blue=bu

Then there are 3 sizes:

Large=lg
Medium=md
Small=sm

The parent product will be, for this example "abc123".

When you generate subproducts, you are provided an option as to how to generate the SKUs associated with those subproduct.

One of those options is to append the product options codes to the parent SKU in order to make the subproduct SKU unique.  As such, a large red shirt would have SKU "abc123rdlg".
Does that help?  Maybe with that understanding, go back and look at the subproduct generator tool and see if this makes more sense now.
MaiBritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaiBritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2010 at 1:05pm
Thanks you for the response.

The above makes perfect sense. What puzzles me is our sub product import .xls sheet has the same data in the SKU andParent Product SKU fields.

We are not using the Batch Create Sub Products, just the Import Sub Products option.

Is PC reconfiguring the SKU data during the import process?

Should I (Can I) reconfigure it before importing?

Bob
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2010 at 1:38pm
While I know the APP application well, and as you can see I can explain the internal structure of how the data is stored, I have not personally used the import feature for subproducts.  I don't have a precise answer for this question.  I doubt PC itself is at fault.  I suspect you have the data in your import spreadsheet coded incorrectly.

There is a WIKI article on this topic, or possibly Hamish or EI will reply with a better response.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2010 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by MaiBritt MaiBritt wrote:

Thanks you for the response.

The above makes perfect sense. What puzzles me is our sub product import .xls sheet has the same data in the SKU andParent Product SKU fields.

We are not using the Batch Create Sub Products, just the Import Sub Products option.

Is PC reconfiguring the SKU data during the import process?

Should I (Can I) reconfigure it before importing?

Hi Bob, are you using the Export for Reimport option? There was an issue there where the sub-prod SKUs were all the parent product SKUs, but I believe this was fixed in 4.1 or 4.11.
MaiBritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaiBritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2010 at 3:05pm
No, however I think the person who figured out the data fields and possibly the data to go in them did use the re-exprt to answer some of our questions. Importing the two fields with the same data works, but it does not make any sense to me.
Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic