ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Help Importing Catagories

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Help Importing Catagories
    Posted: 21-October-2010 at 10:10pm
Hey Everyone,

I have worked for the past couple of days on an .xls file to import over 500 new catagories into my newly installed product cart. 

I have, to the best of my ability, followed the online directions (http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/productcart/products_category_import) to the "t". 

I did "define name" as IMPORT.  I also cleaned up the spreadsheet as recommended.

If some columns are not included in the import (becuase they were empty), like the category ID field, would this cause this problem? 

The problem:  when I upload the document, I get this error: "Invalid file type. Only CSV & XLS files can be uploaded to the server."

Admittedly, I am not the best excel user, but I do know what an .xls file is, and that is what I am trying to import.  So, why is it giving me this error?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by tjbones - 21-October-2010 at 10:30pm
tjbones
tjbones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2010 at 10:35pm
Hey Everyone,

I resaved my doc into the other acceptable format (.csv), and for whatever reason, the .csv file worked.

Problem solved!

Thanks!
tjbones
netprofits View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netprofits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2010 at 10:36pm
Make sure it is not an XLSX (Office 2007) as that will not work. You can use Excel 2007 to create the file but use the Save As command and make sure to choose Filetype of Excel 97-2003 Workbook.

Hope that helps.
NetProfits Internet Consulting

Certified ProductCart Developer

Our Site
tjbones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2010 at 10:44pm

Okay, now I've got another problem.  I supposedly encountered a technical error after I confirmed the category mapping and proceeded to step4, but all I got was a pretty blue box for an error!

What am I supposed to do with this?
tjbones
tjbones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2010 at 10:46pm
Hi Netprofits,

Thanks for your reply.  I did make sure that it was not a .xlsx file.  It still didn't like my .xls file.  But the .csv file got me past that error.  But then I encountered another, but with no error code.

I'm going to try the import again.
tjbones
tjbones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2010 at 10:50pm
I think something deeper is going on, so I am going to open a support ticket.

Thanks again.
tjbones
netprofits View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netprofits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2010 at 10:58pm
Sorry, it's tough to determine an issue when no actual error message gets displayed. Early Impact is very good as respondong to tickets so they should be able to help you. They will probably ask for a copy of your file so they can review it for any issues.

Sometimes it helps to simplify the import to as few columns as possible, i.e. category names and parent category names. See if that works, then use the Undo last import feature and try another import with a few more columns until you determine the error.
NetProfits Internet Consulting

Certified ProductCart Developer

Our Site
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic