ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Packaging allowance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Packaging allowance
    Posted: 25-August-2006 at 2:45pm
It would be nice to have to an option to add additional packaging/shipping weight to each order automatically.  Most of the time 8 ounces for packaging allowance would help with the shipping cost calculation and reflect a more true shipping weight.  Adding weight to individual items does not work, unless they are large.  Expecially if you sell small items where you need 100 to get a pound together.  Here you cannot add packaging weight to the individual item.  A flat packaging/shipping allowance added to the entire order on top of the product weight would work well.  Perhaps have it added to each box.  Right now we added a handling fee for this, but is does not work well for light weight orders.  I can also envision a weight addition table based of product weight range.  Lets say add 2 ounces for total order weight of 1 pound or less.  2-3 pounds get 4 ounces added one.  The table can go on further in the same matter.  This will cover larger boxes used for heavier orders. 
bkats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2006 at 3:57am

Yes, this is a very good suggestion.

I would also love to have the ability to assign only specific shipping method per item.

We ship a lot of books and calendars via USPS Media Mail, but we can't inlcude this as an option for the cutomers or they would select it for every order even when it doesn't qualify to be shipped via Media Mail.

jeanluc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeanluc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2007 at 7:03pm
Hello
As part of this discussion, I think there is a big limitation is I can't assign a flat rate price for shipping per item.  Using a percentage isn't good enough. 

Additionally, there could be zone shipping as well , broken down per item too

thanks
oakcourt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oakcourt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2007 at 10:37am

Originally posted by katharina katharina wrote:

It would be nice to have to an option to add additional packaging/shipping weight to each order automatically.  Most of the time 8 ounces for packaging allowance would help with the shipping cost calculation and reflect a more true shipping weight.  Adding weight to individual items does not work, unless they are large.  

YES!!!!  Someone else with my problem..... <g>  We sell quite a few lightweight items, and adding weight to each one means grossly inflated shipping rates on orders with quite a few different items.  8 oz. would be a good average to add to each order!   I asked about this when we purchased the cart (our last cart, that didn't even BEGIN to compare to Product Cart, had this - we could set the amount in the control panel), and was told that there wasn't any demand for it, since most customers used flat-rate shipping or just added a handling fee to cover it.  I'd be delighted with just an option to add a flat number of ounces to all orders (it would cover the vast majority of ours), but would be ECSTATIC if we could assign different amounts based on the total weight of the order, since really heavy orders would generally use larger, heavier-weight boxes.

Please, ProductCart gurus, consider adding this feature in the next update.  :)  Thanks for listening!

Brenda Sievers, Oak Court Creations 

www.oakcourtcreations.com

dejacob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dejacob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2007 at 4:52pm

I also agree with adding the packaging weight to an order.  I sell trophies, plaques, medals, promtional items, etc.  If I sell 1 medal, the package weight would be 1 lb.  Since I put a weight in for the medals, it is not figured in correctly. 

If I try to compensate, and make 1 medal = 9 oz. to take in account the packaging weight, then when the customer orders 10 medals, it will show 90 oz., when it reality this is about 1 lb.

You can see how important it is to add the weight of the packaging.

On a differerent note, I think having the size of the item sold is important also.  We are to pick a standard size box that we use for shipping, however, the cart does not know when the items would be too large for the box, and therefore require multiple boxes.  This again, causes errors in the shipping costs, since you might have to use 2 boxes, when the cart is only figuring 1 box.

Any responses to the above would be appreciated.

Don
Leading Edge Awards, Inc.

DEJ
desireeknott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desireeknott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 5:16pm
Ditto on everthing they said!!!!
BNC4477 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BNC4477 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2007 at 10:05pm
Count me in on this request.  We sell a lot of items in the 6 oz - 6 lb range.  Not being able to allow for packaging weight can cause discrepencies up to $2.50 on a single order for us.  To add this amount to all of our shipping fees would cause us to not be competitive.  This would be a very useful feature.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic