ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Additional weight for Sub-products

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Additional weight for Sub-products
    Posted: 01-September-2006 at 9:05am

Product: Product Cart v.3.02 with apparel add-on (v.3.02)
Backend DB: MSSQL

Requirement:
Allow additional weight to be specified for sub-products in order to calculate postage prices correctly.

Currently all apparel sub-products "inherit" the item weight from the main product. Inherit in this case means when the sub-products are created, the "weight" field on the Products table for all sub-products is populated with the weight value from the main (parent) product. There should be a way to specify "additional weight" similar to the "additional price". When a customer selects a sub-product, the weight should be the weight of the sub-product, not the main product.

Example:
I am selling original fine art photography work with the option to by these either mounted or framed and in various sizes. In addition to the price, the weight of each sub-product is different. Apparel add-on allows me to do this very cleverly but item weight is causing problems to calculate postage accurately. 

If I have specified a weight of 800g on the main product (such as mounted 12x8 in. print) but the customer wants to by a sub-product, which is a 18 x 12 in. framed print, which is four times more heavier, the weight value Product Cart still uses is weight of 800g (as specified for on the main product) with all postage calculations. Can you see the issue?

To the development team:
Can I suggest "additional weight" to be added as an option for sub-products in a way that when customer selects a sub-product, the weight for this selected sub-product is used with all weight calculations.

Meanwhile, is there anyone who is struggling with the same issue? Any workarounds?

Pekka Vermasvuo

ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2006 at 1:56am

Unfortunately we don't have immediate plans for adding this feature. However, this is probably not a difficult modification for a knowledgeable ASP developer.

Sub-products (Apparel Add-on) are records in the "products" table, just like the parent product. When a sub-product is saved to the database many fields are left empty because the parent-product fields are used instead (e.g. product name and description). However, the fields are there and can certainly be used.

Whomever takes on this project should consider the following:

• Remember that ProductCart stores the weight in ounces or grams (depending on which weight system the store has been setup to use)
  • You will have to change the code used to look up the product weight, which currently looks up the parent product weight
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
bkats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2006 at 3:52am

Yes, I would love to see the ability to add additional weight for the Product Options feature.

Most of the product options we have are "cross selling" products that weigh another 3 or 4 lbs. The problem is that the customer doesn't get charged shipping for the product options.

I understand that this may not be the intended use of the product options feature, but with our 10,000+ products it is easier for us to implement cross selling using the product options feature than it is the using cross selling feature itself.

dejacob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dejacob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2007 at 4:42pm

I completely agree with the need to have the additional weight added to the options.  For instance, I sell medals, trophies, plaques,  etc.  Some of the medals have the same design, but are available in 2 sizes.  The larger size, of course, has a greater weight to it.  It is much easier offering this as an option, rather than an entirely new category.  This is just an example, but a lot of the options of my products would add weight to it.  We could charge the highest weight possible, but this is not really fair to the customer who wants the smaller product.

DEJ
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic