ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Search Engine Optimization
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving the home page to the root

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DCE99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCE99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving the home page to the root
    Posted: 04-December-2008 at 8:12pm
Hi,

Can you use the 301 redirect if you want to use a page other than the default cart homepage - i.e. a content page?

Will this stuff up anything? and or be bad for the search engines?

Thanks.
benpate View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benpate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2008 at 11:55pm
He is referring to the settings in the control panel.

However, if you pm your domain name I will have a look. I have implemented a site that was moved to the root.

Are you saying that a hard coded absolute link is not going to the right page -or- are you having a relative link issue?
ProductCart SEO - Resellers and Affiliates welcome
blkg37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blkg37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2008 at 8:37am
What settings are you refering too ? I am having difficulty in finding what could have changed.

Thank you
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2008 at 11:06am
You may not have altered your store settings for the default home page.
blkg37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blkg37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2008 at 10:50am

I have installed this mod and it seemed to be working for a period of time. The other day i checked the mod again and there seems to be an issue.

Before this mod if you were to go to the websites url it would always forward you to "/ecomm/pc/home.asp".  Currently this forwarding does not happen; meaning if i go to www.mysite.com it is not forwarded, the url in the address bar is www.mysite.com

The problem that i am having now is no matter what i change the navigation structure to be home, the site always defaults back to "/ecomm/pc/home.asp" when clicking on the home button or link.

Example: I go to my url www.mysite.com click on a link to view a category. Then i click the home button and it will NOT return me to the root !! the url becomes www.mysite.com/ecomm/pc/home.asp. I have changed ever include and asp page that has the "Home" link hard coded to got the root. 

What are your suggestions to look at or insight into the issue.

Thank you for your response.

ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2006 at 3:55pm

For search engine optimization purposes it's not a good idea to do a simple redirect of the home page of your site to the "productcart/pc/home.asp" file. There are three things you can do:

• Create your own home page. This is always a good way to go. There are scores of articles on the Internet about creating a good home page. Make sure that you link from your custom home page to ProductCart pages such as the store home, static store map, browse by category page (viewcategories.asp), etc.

• Move home.asp to the root. Moving the ProductCart home page to the root is a bit tricky with ProductCart v3 due to the fact that the home page in the new version is much more powerful and flexible (and therefore more complex in the code). We have written a document to help you do so. You can find it here.

• Redirect using a 301 Permanent Redirect. The permament redirect would point to the "productcart/pc/home.asp" file (where "productcart" might have been renamed on your store). Here is an example of a permanent redirect in ASP: 2006-09-01_155519_default.zip

Edited by earlyimp - 01-September-2006 at 3:56pm
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic