ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fresh Install with Productcart 4.1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John2710 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fresh Install with Productcart 4.1
    Posted: 18-April-2011 at 7:53am
Hi,
      i have V3.51 and am about to update to 4.1 via the usual FTP upload, in order to update the database to 4.1

I then wish to do a fresh upload on a new server of V4.1, and then import the updated 4.1 database in to it.

Why?? Because I have updated this over the years, and am pretty sure there are old files etc that I wish to get rid of. I will just create a new header and footer for the new installed site, which should result in a cleaner webstore

My issue is that when trying this in the past, it thinks this is a new install, and asks for the license keys etc.

How do I upload a fresh install, add my database, and login ?

Its an access database if that makes any difference. I know I have to change the storecontants etc.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks
John
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2011 at 9:52am
I've done this a number of times.  It helps to be familiar with the various settings files (in the includes folder) that need to NOT be overwritten.  I use www.scootersoftware.com to synch the files. So you do that, and then you have to run the database updater(s) from 3.51 to 4 and beyond.

Another consideration might be to upgrade normally, then use the synch tool to overwrite all of the files you want to force back to stock form, carefully examining the files in the includes folder, as well as using the tool to identify old files to be removed.

John2710 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John2710 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2011 at 6:12am
Thanks Greg for your reply

Can I ask, is it not possible to install a fresh copy of productcart, v4.1 for example, and tehn just swap the databases?

thanks

John
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2011 at 9:54am
You already said that you tried it, and that the store thought it was a new install. That happened to me as well, the first time I tried it.

The procedure I am describing is the  way I haive found to work around that.  And that procedures is not that big a deal - it jiust overcomes the system wanting to do a new install, and preserves most if not all of your existing settings.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic