ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Search Engine Optimization
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2 directories deep DOES affect google

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antonio5413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 directories deep DOES affect google
    Posted: 16-July-2011 at 11:04pm
I would just like to ask if anyone else has experienced this and would ask if EI would like to comment on this as well.  I have asked EI about this before to which the reply was it does not effect you.

Since changing from another cart to EI we have almost fallen off the radar where google is concerned.  We went from having 14000 pages to what is now only 300 pages in google.  Having done a little research and speaking to a colleague who works for google here I have been told and read that by having everything 2 levels deep it is consider not as important as items in the root.

Doesnt matter if you submit a sitemap, it is not guaranteed inclusion.

EI can you please comment on this and suggest how thihe main pages can be placed into the root.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2011 at 5:24am
Hi,
  Have you taken action to protect the page rank from your old cart, by building redirects to the new store?
  Have you enabled the SEO friendly URLs ( http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/productcart/seo-urls ) ? Having keywords in the URL is definately beneficial for SEO and users.
  Have you renamed the productcart folder?

As regards what your collegue has told you, I forget the post at the moment, but one of my collegues posted a link in a previous reply on this subject to a statement by a top Google blogger which specifically stated that directory depth does not matter. There is also nothing in the Google webmaster guidelines about directory depth AFAIK.

The lack of redirects from the old pages is likely to be the biggest issue if those pages were well linked to from other sites. How are you getting the figure of 300 pages - Is it fromthe Google Webmaster Tools?
If you still want to do it then seach our WIKI for ROOT.

joshs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2011 at 12:56pm
I would start by looking in your google webmaster and identifying the broken links then building a redirect program to the correct products.  Might not be that simple though.

Did you destroy the old sight and start the new one?
What is the time frame on the change over?

Also old google links seem to stick around a long time.  Because of back links to the old site.  So redirecting is really important.

Just some thoughts.

Josh
Josh Shirley
josh@windsurfutah.com
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2011 at 1:22pm
Hi Antonio,
     The post from Josh made this pop back up and I'm curious.... Has your site recovered it's ranking OK now? Did you take any particular actions?

Regards,
   Hamish
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic