ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart Add-on's > QuickBooks Add-on
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Various Tables Growing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odathp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Various Tables Growing
    Posted: 03-September-2011 at 11:16pm
A client has been successfully using the Quickbooks Add-on for a year or so.

There are various tables that continue to grow unbridled along with the database size.

Is it safe to empty this table?

pcQB_Hosts = 281,000+ records

I already emptied these tables with no side effects.

pcQB_Queue, pcQB_Sessions, pcQB_History

There doesn't seem to be any logical reason to permanently stored most of this data.

It would be nice to have something in the back end to clean these tables periodically.

Or better yet, something in the code to optimize the tables.

Thanks,
Jack
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2011 at 11:46pm
I've been meaning to confirm a related question - perhaps Matt would pop in please.

We have a hosting client who runs the QB Synch several times a day.  The result is that these tables accumumlate significant numbers of records.

pcQB_Queue
pcQB_History

We have created an admin tool that allows those tables to be cleared on an ad-hoc basis.

Question:  we have not yet deployed that tool, pending confirmation that EI is clearly comfortable with those tables being nuked occasionally.  Any problems with that?

Once I have an answer to this, if Jack or others need it, I can make it available for a small fee until EI comes up with a built-in solution.
odathp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odathp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2011 at 12:51am
Have you looked at nuking pcQB_Hosts and pcQB_CompanySessions?

pcQB_CompanySessions 281,000+ records using 49 MB.

pcQB_Hosts 281,000+ records using 64 MB.

The total database is 154.80MB

These 2 tables account for almost 75% of the database.

And that's after nuking pcQB_Queue and pcQB_History.
Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2011 at 12:41pm
You can purge pcQB_Hosts and pcQB_CompanySessions.

I want to point out to anyone else reading this that the data saved in these tables is insignificant for an average store.  Over the time period of several years it can build up if you synchronize very frequently.

We will update the "Clean Up" button in the Add-On's main menu to include the two tables above.  That will be in the next release.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2011 at 12:56pm
Thanks Matt - what about pcQB_Queue and pcQB_History?

You directed us to clear those tables in site that I mentioned to you off-forum.  Are we still ok to clear those tables?
Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2011 at 1:11pm
Sure, I didn't mention those because we talked about them offline.  For everyone else watching, those can also be cleared.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2011 at 1:18pm
Thanks Matt.  I only wanted to clarify since there has been a ticket with BHO and their developer, and questions as to whether our practice of clearing those tables was having the side-effects that were the subject of that ticket.  Appreciate it. 
odathp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odathp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2011 at 1:42pm
Thanks everyone for the valued input.  The database was well over 500MB.  It is now down to 40MB after purging all of the aforementioned tables.

FYI.  This customer synchronizes every 5 minutes 24/7.  I've recommended they synchronize manually as needed, but they keep going back to the auto synchronize (which is indeed an option).

The only reason this surfaced is we just moved their site from a dedicated server to a shared host.

Thanks again,
Jack
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic