ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deleting Multiple Products

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adezigngirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deleting Multiple Products
    Posted: 03-November-2011 at 11:55pm
I am looking for a way to delete a multiple amount of products at one time. I have 943 products I need to delete and it seems the only way to delete them is by using the locate a product button then deleting it from there, that would be ok if i could just go down the list and keep hitting delete but it takes me right back to the beginning every time. Hitting the back button is also time consuming and it does not show the deleted product. I hope someone has some help for me as I delete alot of product on a regular basis.
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2011 at 1:52am
There's a few ways to do it. Here is one:

- Import a spreadsheet with the products that you wish to remove, with just 2 columns: SKU and "active" column set to inactive (value = 0).
- Use the "purge inactive products" feature to remove the inactive products from the database (purgeinactiveproducts.asp)
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
adezigngirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adezigngirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2011 at 3:38am
wont that cause problems with stored orders that those products are on? everything i have read says not to purge. I would make them inactive but it seems to bog down the system. when i had 3.51 it used to stay on the same page after you deleted a product and even though still quite tedious was easier to just go down the list and hit delete, space bar, delete, space bar and go down the list. it was pretty fast.  
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2011 at 8:36pm
Yes, if the products had been purchased, they should not be purged.

You can certainly making them inactive, but the drawback is that they remain visible in the Control Panel.

If you want them not to be visible, then you need to delete them. In the database, that means that the "removed" field needs to have a value of "-1".

Assuming that all "inactive" products are to be deleted, you could run a very simple query to accomplish this. If you can connect to the SQL database (many Web hosting companies provide a tool that allows you to manage the database), the query would be:

UPDATE products SET removed=-1 WHERE active=0

Make sure to backup the database before making this change, in case something goes wrong (many Web hosting companies include tools to allow you to quickly back the store's SQL database).

A simple ASP script could also be created to accomplish the same thing.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic