ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

absolutely no idea.. =(

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cycy89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: absolutely no idea.. =(
    Posted: 16-January-2012 at 6:35pm
Hi guys

I just started working for this company and I'm supposed to redesign their website, but I have never used Product Cart before, and the person who did their website doesn't work here anymore, So I have no idea where to start. HELP!!!
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2012 at 6:44pm
Well, a good start would be a bit more specific.  If you need to understand how to use the application, look at the wiki (link at the top of this page).  Otherwise, please ask a more specific question and we will try to assist.  Beyond that, there is a list of developers who DO understand the application from whom you may wish to recruit assistance.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2012 at 7:37pm
Hi and welcome to the forum,

The WIKI is a great place to start! See the link at the top of the forum, or just go straight there :- http://wiki.earlyimpact.com

A KEY point to understand is that the design is for the most part contained in just a few files, the main ones being the header.asp footer.asp and the CSS files. I always think of the pages as being like a sandwich, with the header on the top, the footer on the bottom and the middle is the dymanic part of the page, but use whatever metaphor works for you. ( http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/productcart/storefront-integrate )  

Can you share the URL of the site?
Do you know which version of ProductCart is installed?
Do you know what, if any, modifications were made to any of the files? (Is there a log or notes).

It's also worth considering installing a test copy of the site/files on your local PC ( http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/productcart/localinstall ) or a default copy of the ProductCart files in a "mirror" version of your store. ( http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/how_to/create_default_store )

Good Luck!

cycy89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cycy89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2012 at 3:44pm
This is the site I will be working on.<Removed URL>
I believe I have V3. I downloaded a file and unzipped it. There are 2 folders in it, Parent Paths Disabled and Enabled, a ReadMe doc, and some web pages. 
I thought this is a software that I can double click the icon and open up the software, download the webpage, then upload it... like a web design software.

Edited by Hamish - 18-January-2012 at 5:38pm
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2012 at 3:59pm
Based on the page names, this site originated under v2.  It may still be v2, or it may be v3 and the person that upgraded it simply retained the old URLs instead of pointing to the new page names/.  You would have to confirm by logging in to the store control panel as the admin user - and a reference to what store version will be listed there.

I'd recommend that as a first best step, you upgrade the store.  Depending upon what version it is, you may be vulnerable to any number of exploits.

Actually, before you even do the upgrade, please edit your post now that we see the site and remove the domain name for security reasons.  You don't want to feed the site to the bad guys.

Once the store is upgraded, you would want to create a copy of the upgraded "productcart" folder.  In that "productcartdev" or "storedev" folder is where you would wnat to build up your new design.

In terms of applying the design, ProductCart includes files named header.asp and footer.asp.  See the following article for a discussion of how to apply a custom design to a store:
http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/productcart/storefront-integrate?s[]=header&s[]=asp

Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2012 at 5:42pm
Hi, If your server supports the Parent Path Enabled version use that one and delete the Parent Path Disabled copy. If not then ask your hosting company to enable Parent Paths and if they won't consider moving hosts! Some sites run the PPD version, but the PPE is strongly preferred and ISP's who won't enable it are frankly way behind the times. Many internet years ago there may have been an issue with having it enabled, but that has long been resolved/dispelled.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic