FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving from shared hosting to VDS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JoltDigital View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoltDigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving from shared hosting to VDS
    Posted: 13-April-2012 at 1:40am
If you are restoring a backp of a db from a different server be sure to remove the orphaned sql users from the db and resolve any ownership issues from the orphaned users. You will then need to add the users you have configured on the new server to have access to the database.

Also if you are using mssql express make sure mixed authenication and tcpip are enabled. By default both are disabled.

I would also suggest you contact your host about adding a license for sql2k8r2 web edition. It should be around $20/month.
JoltDigital Inc.
1-888-785-5658
Premium ProductCart Hosting
Ludwig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2012 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by cognecy cognecy wrote:

I am not a fan of backup and restore myself but do need to state very clearly, that giving blanket advice to the community that it will not work is an incorrect statement.  It absolutely will work if done correctly

That's why I said.. OR you will need to do extra tweaking...

"If you are using MS SQL 2005 and you try to import your database into MS SQL 2008, it won't work or you will need to do extra tweaking or something, because that's what caused my problem."

I'm sure you can get it to work with MS SQL 2008 but probably not with a simple backup and restore, so I was just giving everyone a precaution in case they run into the same issue that I had.

If I do any mods, I plan to hire a developer, but the rest I want to try to learn myself.

Edited by Ludwig - 12-April-2012 at 1:03pm
cognecy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2012 at 11:51am
To answer your question about if there could be problems between SQL2005 and SQL2008 from going between IIS6 and IIS7.5 .... Yes there could be a Mountain problems you could encounter.  The architecture between these two platforms changed drastically and things you could do before you cannot do now... or have to be done in a different way (sorry to be talking in circles).  It is like standard and automatic transmissions on a car ... they both accomplish the same task but in drastically different ways and the technology gap between them is vast.

Like Greg, I fully appreciate you wanting to learn and to things on your own as I have spent most of my career doing much of the same however, I always kept people and experts at arms length so I could grab them when I got stuck (I still do this as I certainly have not learned all I can).

You really need an experienced DBA that has experience with ProductCart specifically to move things around and migrate between platforms.  I am not a fan of backup and restore myself but do need to state very clearly, that giving blanket advice to the community that it will not work is an incorrect statement.  It absolutely will work if done correctly  - but there are considerations that need to taken into account that a DBA will be able to handle. 

To re-cap on what Greg mentioned, we are at a point on this thread there is not much more we can do do assist primarily because it is a public forum and the questions that need asked and the access that is needed is not for public discussion.  Greg is absolutely correct in that at this point you really do need to either contact me directly (I sent you a private message with my contact info already) or submit a support ticket with Early impact and have them assist with set up. 

Edited by cognecy - 12-April-2012 at 11:52am
Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
Hosting/Design/Customization/Database Migration
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk
Ludwig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2012 at 5:27am
I just ran the troubleshooting utility to make sure everything is configured properly, including my SSL. The only things that are missing are the two image utilities... I guess I'll install Persits Upload and Persits Jpeg (ASPJpeg). Just one last thing, I am moving from IIS6.0 on the shared hosting to IIS7.5 on the VPS, do you think there could be any issues like with the MS SQL 2005 to 2008 move?

Edited by Ludwig - 12-April-2012 at 5:30am
Ludwig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2012 at 5:11am
Originally posted by Ludwig Ludwig wrote:

my current live site is using MS SQl 2005 and I restored the database to MS SQL 2008 could that have messed up the login/pass to the admin somehow?

See, I was on the right track here... I went and made a new database with SQL 2005 instead of 2008 and then restored my PC data..... and BAM! It works perfectly now. YASSSSSSSS!! It feels so GOOD when you figure something out and it works!!

So for anyone reading... if you are using MS SQL 2005 and you try to import your database into MS SQL 2008, it won't work or you will need to do extra tweaking or something, because that's what caused my problem.

Edited by Ludwig - 12-April-2012 at 9:11am
Ludwig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2012 at 5:01am
Ok this is just bizarre, I made a new database... without importing/restoring any of my PC data - then I put the connection string in storeconstants on my VPS store to this new database that has no PC data in it at all, and the admin page will still load! To make sure I was connecting to this new database and not the live database, I removed a few characters from the username and database name from the connection string and sure enough I reloaded and got the cannot connect to the database error.

Is this odd or what? I must not be connecting to the database and that's why the login doesn't work, but why does the admin page login still load?
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2012 at 7:57pm
fair enough, and when I started this business, I made the same choice.  I re-sold shared hosting accounts for a year or so until I could justify my own servers.  Now I wouldn't go back - and it's one of the reasons I won't deal with stores hosted at places like Godaddy - I don't want to have to deal with some tech support dweeb and teach them how to do the stuff I need done, and which I know implicitly. 

Problem is that without one of us having access to you on the phone, an FTP login, and some questions answered privately, I don't know what else we can do here.  The key to security is just that - and you are now asking us to speculate publicly why you cannot get logged in.  The questions we need to ask, and the steps needed to resolve this, need to be performed outside of the forum. 

You just need to decide who is going to help you through this, and since I'm a bit tied up at the moment, I'm suggesting that be Mark or EI support.   Or look to the CPD list and find another certified developer.  But at the momnet you really do need private assistance to get you through this one...
Ludwig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2012 at 7:48pm
I know it's not about the money, I am trying to learn how to do things myself. I taught myself how to setup the server, I've done everything so far... installed a Wordpress site on a windows server, vBulletin forum, CMS software, installed PHP, created SQL and MySQL dB's, generated SSL certificates, setup IIS for all the sites, a bunch of other stuff, I haven't really had many issues with anything else.

I just want to educate myself, because I prefer to be independant, it's much more rewarding that way.

I've always used shared hosting in the past and when I bought the first VPS, it was so liberating. I could just do a remote login and use it like a computer. The feeling of going from shared hosting to a VPS is comparable to moving out of your parent's house for the first time and being on your own. It's a good feeling. :)

Edited by Ludwig - 11-April-2012 at 8:05pm
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2012 at 7:22pm
From the outside looking in, we cannot tell what you may have done.  Start with the idea that despite cautions not to use SQL Express, you plowed ahead and tried it anyhow.  Apparently you are spread out over a pair of data centers?  Now you have this.  It's hard, based on everything one can glean from this thread just what you did or did not do, and how you ended up where you're sitting now. 

I'd recommend you contact Mark @ Cognecy and see if he can dig you out of this mess.  How much time is it worth spending before it's justified to spend a couple bucks so you can move on?

And as for your trying to use Express because you didn't want to buy the full license, at any of the shops that commonly host PC stores, I'm not aware of anyone that charges for a database license.  That's all built into our VPS hosting fees.  I'd be curious about the bigger picture, or you could share that with Mark, as there may be options that would be in your best interest to consider. 
Ludwig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2012 at 7:08pm
but is it normal to move a database then have the admin login not work? I don't understand how it's possible... created a new database, then restored this database from the live site, the admin page loads fine but login/pass will not work.

Edited by Ludwig - 11-April-2012 at 7:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic