ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Product Option Price Display

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2013 at 11:32pm
Was this issue fixed in v4.6b? I just added a test product and it appears to be showing the option prices correctly for all groups: http://www.liftchair.co/Test-Product-Options-33p30.htm
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2013 at 11:34pm
Actually it appears this test product isn't showing the updated total like on avalight's site. Is that a customization or a feature I've forgotten to enable?
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2013 at 1:20am
Brett, If your running V4.6b then your not comparing like with like, but you can get the behaviour your after by configuring the product as a BTO product and IMHO this is a better solution. 
Avalights store is running the apparel product add-on and I suspect to switch to BTO a very large number of products would have needed to be re-entered. As Sean has pointed out already, although apparel sub-product prices can be generated from the option prices there is no permanent link as the sub-product prices can also be set or edited separately. As although Premium White Leather may be $250 and feather cushions $150 it may not necessarily be true that a sofa with  Premium White Leather and feather cushions is $400 more than the base price. This gives store owners maximum flexibility over pricing, but also means we don't know the SKU or price until all the options are selected. 
I don't know the details of Seans mod but I suspect it relies on sub-product prices being strictly based on the option prices and as long as Avalight ALWAYS generates the sub-product prices from the option prices everything should look OK.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2013 at 1:48am
Originally posted by Hamish Hamish wrote:

I don't know the details of Seans mod but I suspect it relies on sub-product prices being strictly based on the option prices and as long as Avalight ALWAYS generates the sub-product prices from the option prices everything should look OK.

Hi Hamish,

Yes, indeed this is exactly the case. I made sure that Avalight was clear on this, and indeed, they never ever adjust pricing at the sub-product level, but always does do by generating or regenerating from the options.

In their case that Premium White Leather may be $250 and feather cushions $150 and that this combo always adds exactly $400 to the base price, on every APP product with these options.

I definitely see why EI's release is the way it is, and I definitely see where Avalight's customers get confused (and confusion is deadly in ecommerce, right?). That is to say that I don't think what I've worked up for him would suggest any difference in approach from EI's release, nor even that this would make any kind of reasonable generic add-on for PC (when we do an add-on, it has to apply to all possible standard PC options; else, really it's just a customization "hack" the way I see things). It could, however, be a "hack" that some folks, in Avalight's exact situation, might like to employ though.

Oh, and yes, ideally speaking I think a catalog like Avalight's would be better served with a solution like BTO, but yes again, the reality is that's not an option they're wanting to pursue ... not the least of which is because it would require a huge overhaul of product data. That would be far more complicated than this hack which seems to suite them quite nicely now.

PS: I'm mostly leaving this as a recap for others who might find it helpful down the road -- esp. anyone on the fence about whether to go BTO or just Apparel add-on at the outset for product constructions such as this.
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2013 at 3:09am
Hey Hamish, I wasn't intending to imply that I was comparing like with like, in fact quite the opposite. I was wondering whether the functionality to display prices on the drop downs for standard product options was added in 4.6, which appears to be the case.

Additionally, I was wondering whether the functionality to display a configured subtotal for standard products was originally a standard feature which was removed in 4.6, or was a customization made to avolights store by Sean (or the apparel addon), which also appears to be the case.

I totally agree that BTO products are probably the best way to achieve this functionality, I was just wondering about those two things. At any rate, my questions have been answered. Thanks Hamish and Sean.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2013 at 2:41am
Thanks for weighing in with your ideas on this, Brett.

Ideally, BTO would be the better solution for this sort of thing; however, we've come up with an elegant "hack" for APP for those (like Curt @ Avalight) who might need to fall back on it.

It's a benefit to the entire community here to have great minds weighing in and kicking around ideas & alternatives.

PM me with your email and phone number if you'd like me to corroborate your BTO test issue.

Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2013 at 3:24am
Hi Brett,
Did you set up your test product as BTO?
If so then I suspect a javascript conflict if the total is not being updated. From what I remember from when I looked at it I think it was a standard product with options.

Edited by Hamish - 26-January-2013 at 3:26am
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2013 at 5:39am
The product was a standard product. The configured total is showing up for BTO products. I noticed that in avolights example, standard product options were updating a configured total, something I thought was only available on BTO products. That's why I thought it was odd that avolights standard products with options were showing a configured total. It turns out this was either due to a customization by Sean or a feature of the apparel addon.
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2013 at 5:46am
Originally posted by Sean@WMS Sean@WMS wrote:

Thanks for weighing in with your ideas on this, Brett.

Ideally, BTO would be the better solution for this sort of thing; however, we've come up with an elegant "hack" for APP for those (like Curt @ Avalight) who might need to fall back on it.

It's a benefit to the entire community here to have great minds weighing in and kicking around ideas & alternatives.

PM me with your email and phone number if you'd like me to corroborate your BTO test issue.

I'm not sure if I've been much help in this case actually. I saw the original post and went about trying to tinker with it, only to find that the functionality had already been made standard in 4.6 (in terms of showing price on each option drop down for standard products). It seems that a configured total isn't standard in 4.6, but that is already solved with the customization you made (or the apparel addon? I don't know which) to avolights store. I use BTO products anyways, and so have no need to incorporate configured totals to my Standard products. I'm a novice at best, but I like to think I'm capable of customizing things to suit my needs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic