ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Search Alternatives

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Search Alternatives
    Posted: 12-February-2013 at 4:36pm
This may be built in or there may be an add on for it already, I'm not sure.  We want to customize the search field so that if a customer searches for something that we don't sell but we sell something similar, a message pops up with a link to some alternatives.

Example: LG, Sony, Samsung.  All 3 make TV's.  Let's say our company doesn't carry LG (for some strange reason).  Someone visits our site and searches for LG.  By default, a page will come up and say "no products to display."  What we want to show instead would be, "Sorry we don't carry any LG products, but we have some great alternative products from Sony," Sony could be a link that goes to Sony products, or even have some products by Sony be displayed.

The search engine doesn't even have to be smart.  This message would only come up for search terms we specify and show specific items we specify.  So if a customer tries to search for something we definitely don't sell like beds, cars, or pets, they will just get the default message.

Also on a side note, I'm trying to think of the sales term to describe this.  Bait & switch is a negative term I know.  If someone was to randomly walk into your store, ask for a specific item, tell them you don't carry that item but are familiar with that product and offer a similar product you carry.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic