ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart Build To Order > Customizing BTO
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Change all SEO URLs to lower case

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Change all SEO URLs to lower case
    Posted: 18-March-2013 at 9:49pm
I wanted all of my URLs on my site to be exclusively lower case. I figured the best way to achieve this was to modify pcSeoLinks.asp. It was a quick change, just had to add a few lcase() statements.

Here's my modified file for 4.1b sp2. You can probably apply the principles to any version, though I wouldn't recommend just dropping it in unless you're on the exact same version. And as always, back up your original file first.

Figured this might help someone else who wants to make their URLs all lower case.

pcSeoLinks.zip
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2013 at 4:02pm
Hi Bret,

Just curious why you want all of your URLs lower case. Mind sharing?
Nathan-Conbrio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan-Conbrio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2013 at 5:19pm
I'd assume it just looks nicer.
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2013 at 6:33pm
I just wanted everything to be clean and consistent. In my opinion, there's no reason for URLs to have any capitals. I feel like it just makes them harder to read and remember when some of the letters are capitalized. I feel like all lower case makes a better URL. Makes it more of a "slug".
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2013 at 12:52am
Thanks, Brett.

On LAMP servers, it could be a technical issue, but shouldn't ever be on Win servers. To the best of my knowledge, it's not an SEO issue ... so I was just curious if there were any technical reason you saw a need for this.

Aesthetics is another subject altogether. I tend to prefer capitalization, even in URL's, but I do see you point. For these URL's I could agree with you and am considering whether it's worth it to include in our base template of PC. 
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2013 at 1:11am
I don't think it should matter on LAMP servers, since the little keyword at the end (##p###) is what points to the product.

The only SEO implication is that if you have both upper and lower case urls, then it considers you to have two URLs pointing to the same page. I noticed it on my Seomoz account and thats what lead me to modify it. I think I had previously set some things to be lower case, but not everything, so it was causing duplicate content issues.

However, for a base install where upper case is used everywhere, it shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by Brett - 20-March-2013 at 1:12am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic