ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Small Shopping Cart" on gateway pages problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Small Shopping Cart" on gateway pages problem
    Posted: 11-February-2014 at 3:23am
I honestly can't believe that after all of these years working ProductCart issues I haven't noticed this one yet ... until one of the users of our add-ons pointed it out to me today as a major cause of his customers abandoning carts and calling their support line (if they don't just abandon and NOT call):

The issue is with the "small shopping cart" widget, of which there are many variations in PC releases and also it's something folks frequently customize the display of.

Typical variations on including this vis a vis stock PC code include the following logic to NOT display this in the OPC -- for good reason the why it works in PC:
<%IF Instr(Ucase(Request.ServerVariables("SCRIPT_NAME")),"ONEPAGECHECKOUT")=0 THEN%>

This make sense as this is called within the header, and therefore has no data on calculations such as discounts, shipping, taxes, etc. that factors in as one moves through the OPC (hence the hiding of this widget there and the, forgive me ... cheesy "blue box" subtotal/<div id="pcOPCtotal">).

The problem is that this cheesy workaround doesn't get picked back up when the user gets to a gateway page -- so, folks are abandoning cart OR (if the merchant is so "lucky") calling support about why these don't match up (because they don't see their discount; never because they don't see shipping & tax factored, right? Users mostly only call when it looks like they might have to pay more, not less).

The check to exclude this feature (small shopping cart) should include a check for gateway pages, all of which start with "gw*" (gwreturn.asp would not be an issue as it's a "twener"). So, some variation of:
<%IF Instr(Ucase(Request.ServerVariables("SCRIPT_NAME")),"ONEPAGECHECKOUT")=0 AND ( Instr(Ucase(Request.ServerVariables("SCRIPT_NAME")),"GW")=0) THEN%>
which is too gross and risks conflict with possible custom pages, so checking for the first two characters, "gw", should probably suffice.

My point is that for the same reasons PC doesn't show the small shopping cart in the OPC, it also should not show on any gateway pages either, lest the GUI is confusing enough for users to abandon their cart and not want it enough to pester customer support.

Edited by Sean@WMS - 13-February-2014 at 12:00am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic