ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Import/Export Suggestion 3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NWClips Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Import/Export Suggestion 3
    Posted: 03-April-2015 at 3:42pm
Since Excel 2007 is specified in the import/export procedures, why is only the older Excel 2003 and prior file extension of .XLS required?  The default for Excel 2007 and above is .XLSX.  
~ Craig B.
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2015 at 3:17am
Hmm this is an interesting point. Have you run into any issues as a result of this? Are you able to just save the spreadsheet as .xls instead of .xlsx?
NWClips Craig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NWClips Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2015 at 4:20am
Other than the issues documented elsewhere (category long name and tabbed layouts), I haven't seen any issues with using the older file format/extension.  It just seems contradictory to require one thing (.XLS) then specify another (Excel 2007) that really don't go together.  Also, not allowing .TXT files means you can't use tab delimited files either.

FWIW - I did receive a support notice that the inability to import the tabbed layout information is being added to the PC bug reports.
~ Craig B.
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2015 at 4:59am
That actually brings up an interesting point. When exporting, you are able to specify the delimiter. I think both tabs and commas have their issues, because these are both characters which may appear in your average product/category descriptions. In fact. I always seem to have at least some kind of issue when I'm import / exporting. Lately I've used special ASCII characters as delimiter which seems to reduce the number of issues, but the system certainly isn't ideal.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic