ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More Custom Product Fields

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2007 at 10:16pm

More custom would be a godsend for my Business. 3 just does not work and results in emails back and forth. Access to documentation or  "update" files would be fantastic.

20 would be more than enough. I recon 10 would be fantastic

Peter Letts

Peter
avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2007 at 1:55am
I have been using PC for about a year now and I find this area to be one of the most lacking.  Most any website with products want a standardized way of presenting product information.  Using the additional custom fields, allowing the title and contents to be determined by the administrator, and then having them appear on the detailed product pages.  I have been testing other ecommerce solutions and this is almost a universal feature.  Even in the cheapest of shopping carts.    So I think the folks at EI need to bump this up the list.  This is a major shortcoming of the PC product, IMHO.
Curt
bunger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bunger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2007 at 2:32pm

I am writing this "update" so that it can be implemented into an existing cart, or on a fresh install. The import and export features will also work with the extra fields as well.

One last question for you all, would it be helpful to have the ability to hide the fields? Maybe just a simple check box. The only difference being that it would not be seen by the customer.

fidjiti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fidjiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2007 at 3:46pm
Yes I love the idea of a check box, to show or hide the information in that specific field. If it does show, where would it appear on the product page? Below the Long descriptio within that same table? Just curious.
Linda - I wish I knew ASP.
To view my ever evolving site click the "www" button below. :)
avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2007 at 5:20pm
As a workaround to the lack of custom fields, I have put this common information into the short description field, using html coding to help with the formating, and it looks pretty good because it shows up on the product listing and on the product detail page, right after brand.  This is an example of the code I used:
<b>Dimensions: </b>10h x 7w x 4e x 5tm<br><b>Lamping: </b> Takes one, B11 (torpedo) style bulb, 60W max.
I put all this in an excel spreadsheet, and imported just this one field.  As an extra bonus, I finally have a use for the short description field :)
Curt
fidjiti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fidjiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2007 at 5:55pm
avalight, that's a great idea if you want to show it to the customer. :)
Linda - I wish I knew ASP.
To view my ever evolving site click the "www" button below. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic