ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Google Checkout Stinks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Google Checkout Stinks
    Posted: 20-February-2008 at 8:29pm

I've set up a google checkout account and turned it on in PC.  Everything was working, but it seems to confuse customers.  When checking out they see the google express checkout button before the other check out options like paypal and so on are being shown.  Even before the shipping options.  I had several customers that thought they had to use google checkout.  They said they went to google checkout and started to create an account there.  Some of them said they don't like to use google checkout, and they saw no other options of checking out.  I know there was a link to continue without google checkout, but customers don't seem to get it.  I've noticed a higher drop out in purchasing with google checkout, so I had to turn it off.  I think the early google express checkout option gives an advantage to google and confuses customers.  This is what stinks about google checkout, I assume this is how google wants it.   Is there a way to have it only show up when all the other checkout options are shown together?  After choosing a shipping message!  That would make it much nicer for the whole thing. 

Katharina

Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2008 at 12:00am

Hi katharina,

It’s a Google policy that there must be a Google Checkout button next to each store’s checkout button.  The idea is that someone can use Google Checkout without having to register on your store. The shipping options are selected at Google.  So they can essentially shop on the internet at several different stores with one secure “anonymous” account.  So while you can’t change button placement there is another technique.

We have seen several stores make their checkout buttons larger to match Google’s button.   You can also add the word “OR“ below your store’s button to make it more clear that there are two options.

The result would be something like this:

<Store Checkout Button (size 160x43)>

OR

<Google Checkout (size 160x43)>

I hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any questions.

katharina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2008 at 10:24am

Thanks Matt.  That would perhaps make it easier for the customer, but we feel that google is trying to get the market advantage by doing this.  We did install google checkout, because one other person posted in this forum that 35% of his customers use google checkout.  We thought that is a high number and perhaps the demand for google checkout exists.  The same reason why we offer paypal.   I now see what causes that other user's high number.  I kind of understand googles reasoning to take it to their site before the customer supplies any kind of information, but again aren't we going to see some information for processing the order?  The early placement gives google an advantage and "hides" the other options.  At this point we have decided not to offer google checkout at all.  It has nothing to do with Early Impact's Product cart, but just the nature of google checkout.  Perhaps someone at google reads this and sees that they may loose merchants over this.

Katharina

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic