ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Google says "Duplicate Page Title"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Google says "Duplicate Page Title"
    Posted: 27-February-2013 at 9:51pm
I'm running into some issues with duplicate content. I have products assigned to multiple categories. As a result, they are being indexed as two different pages, when they are really the same product, just being pointed to with a different URL.

I could remove the category portion from the URL, but then my breadcrumbs wouldn't work. I think I could set a "default category" so that, no matter which category you reach a product from, the URL shows up with the default category.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Seomoz and google webmaster tools are both telling me these are "errors" that I need to fix.

Anyone been able to solve this?
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2013 at 1:16pm
Hi Bret,

This issue was address with v4.1. Please see: http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/productcart/seo-canonical
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2013 at 1:18pm
Canonical tags are in place, and have been since 4.1. The problem persists as per google webmaster tools and seomoz.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2013 at 1:39pm
Hi Bret,

That's good. So it would be reasonable to conclude that the URLs for products are not actually the problem. It would be helpful to have more data to work from.

Your post title suggests that the issue is duplicate page titles. Unfortunately, there are many pages which would have duplicate page titles -- basically any page other than product, category or content pages, as all of the other pages simply inherit the default title tag. I have a solution in the works for this -- an extension of our old meta tags manager (I just haven't had time to get back to it).

So, do we know that the issue with duplicate page titles is within product pages on your site? If that is the case, then is it possible that there are different products with the same name and that custom title tags for these were not used to change them up?

Kinda grasping at straws without actual examples or data to illustration the issue.
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2013 at 5:02pm
The problem is with products being assigned to multiple categories. On the ProductCart demo stores, the canonical link does not include the category. On my store, it does. (4.1b SP2)

Any idea how I can modify the canonical link to not include the category reference?

By the way, my name spelled with 2 t's.

Edited by Brett - 28-February-2013 at 5:03pm
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2013 at 5:19pm
Never mind, I was able to figure it out. I don't think it was fixed as of version 4.1b SP2, but maybe it was.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2013 at 7:24pm
I see now: you weren't actually getting canonical URLs.

I see that there was a patch for this right after 4.1 SP1. That should have been included in SP 2, but I don't see the files (/pc/include-metatags.asp and /pc/pcSeoLinks.asp) in the SP 2 archive Confused

Glad you got it sorted out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic