ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Header / Footer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kakestore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Header / Footer
    Posted: 26-June-2009 at 12:47pm
I am Still confused. I am working on my website and am still confused and frustrated. I created my "header" and and right now it is working fine. I litterally had to cut and paste my elements into an existing header to make it work properly. NOW I am having problems with my footer. No matter what I do my footer is not at the bottom of my website.
What am doing wrong?
Lastly... If you go to my site, Click on an item like "food" that has many items in it. When I open the sub catagory under food, My Left navigation "floats" down the page, I have tried to anchor it... I have tried many different things and have been unsuccessful... Any suggestions?

I just want to also add, I like the funcionality of the cart, But am very unhappy with the "lack" of customer service... There is NO phone number to call for any help... Posting my problems/questions to a forum is not the Best customer service.

Thank you!
Richard
Kakekreations.com
netprofits View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netprofits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2009 at 1:09pm
Hi Richard,

There is a page on the Product Cart Wiki that gives detailed explanation of how to incorporate your design into the Product Cart default template:
A link to this site is also included with the Product Cart application when you purchased it.

You should always start with the default header and footer and incorporate your design into that as there is quite a bit of required code in those which you wouldn't have in your own design.

Your footer appears at the bottom when we view it in IE and Firefox. Did you fix it?

For the left navigation on subcategories, you need to add a valign="top" to the TD tag for that column. That forces the content of the cell to the top even if other cells in the table are very high.

As for support, we have worked with Early Impact for many years and have always found their support to be excellent. There is the ability to post support requests from within your account and those requests are answered very quickly. However, given the fact that 1000's of merchants purchase Product Cart, Early Impact couldn't possibly support all of the different designs companies come up with. Your issues are not problems in Product Cart. They are problems with understanding HTML layout and design. If you know basic HTML, you should be able to follow the instructions above to create your own design. Or you can hire a Product Cart designer/developer to help out.
NetProfits Internet Consulting

Certified ProductCart Developer

Our Site
Kakestore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kakestore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2009 at 1:26pm

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I didn't change the footer. If you go to any of the catagories at the top, ie: candles you'll see what I mean. I need the footer to be Under the bottom line at the very bottom of the site. I can send examples if needed.
As for the support. I understand that with 1000's of clients it would be impossible to handle them all... I was just a little frustrated.

Thank you!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netprofits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2009 at 1:44pm
You're welcome.

It appears that your HTML tables are not formatted correctly. You have tables nested inside of other tables and tables without rows and columns. Your CSS links are also incorrect. They are pointing to an unzipped folder. The CSS files are right in the PC folder. Your main BODY tag also hsa image references to local folders, i.e. C:/documents, etc. All of that should really be cleaned up.

For the footer, you have an extra BODY tag near the bottom of your code which should be removed:
     <body background="../kake%20kreations/PS_BG03.jpg" style="background-attachment: fixed">

Then your footer content is wrapped in the Product Cart div tag as follows:
  <div id="pcFooter08">
That tag is formatted with CSS positioning. The rest of your layout is not using CSS positioning so I would recommend removing that opening and closing div tag and just use a regular HTML table below your main table. That should force the footer content to go at the very bottom.

Our Site
Kakestore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kakestore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2009 at 1:54pm
I had wanted the footer to have my "background" on it. That's the extra tag. I had followed the instructions provided and that is what I did... Confused.
Thank you! I'll work on it now...
Kakestore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kakestore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2009 at 2:51pm
Here is a Perfect example of my Complete Frustration... I Just worked on my Header. All I did was change a few buttons, the background color and uploaded it. I am having the same problem I had a few weeks ago in the cart. I don't understand how this is happening... I didn't change any tags etc...
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2009 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Kakestore Kakestore wrote:

I just want to also add, I like the funcionality of the cart, But am very unhappy with the "lack" of customer service... There is NO phone number to call for any help... Posting my problems/questions to a forum is not the Best customer service.

Richard,

Instructing folks on how to code HTML is outside of the scope of support that Early Impact is committed to.  Their role is to make certain that their software works correctly, and you can feel certain that their response time to support tickets (https://www.earlyimpact.com/productcart/support/support_form.asp) is very high.  I've worked with other software companies that could not possibly match EI's level of response to legitimate support requests. 

There is a telephone number in the site, but as Dan mentions, if you are unfamilliar with the intricacies of HTML coding, you may want to seek out the assistance of someone how will help move your project over such hurdles.

Think about the header/footer as a sandwich.  The header and footer are the bread, and everything in the middle is contained within them.  Your left nav issue is probably caused by the need for valign=top in the TD that contains those elements.  Review the link that Dan referenced and see if that helps.
Kakestore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kakestore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2009 at 4:04pm

That is exactly how I was thinking about it. BUT as I had just mentioned, My cart is messed up again, and all I did was change some fonts and colors... I just don't understand how that can mess it up.

Can you see where the problem is?
then go to "cake pans"
This is the same problem I had before and was told I had html & body at the bottom of the header...?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netprofits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2009 at 4:20pm
If you have the original file before you made the most recent changes, try putting it back on the site. Once you have it working, make each change one at a time and test to see which change caused the problem.

In all honesty, I would recommend working with a designer who knows Product Cart and can help you create a more professional design and then integrate it into the Product Cart template. You would probably save yourself a lot of time and headaches.

Our Site
cognecy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2009 at 5:13pm
Cognecy's Suggestions for first-times on Initially Setting up your PC Store

1)  Listen to Greg Dinger's advice ...  it really is just a sandwich!

2) If you are not very experienced with coding, never work on your header and footer files as individual pieces (If this is the first time you have ever looked at html/asp code then STOP and hire a developer).  See below for further explanation

3) In your page (before you add the Product cart code).  you need to have an area defined in the middle (the sandwich) where you want the store to be.  Ideally you would want to start out with a space that is 900px wide like the default store is (we can worry about customizing it later to widths you want).  This point in the middle of the code can be in between a <td></td>  or <div></div> pairing.  

Define your break-point in the file like this with comments so you always know what part of the code belongs where:

<td>   (or  <div>)
<!-- HEADER ABOVE -->
<!-- FOOTER BELOW -->
</td>  (or  </div>)

3a)  It is a good idea to combine the original Header and Footer files that come with ProductCart as well.  You can keep it as a reference file and it will give you a very good idea of how the header and footer are constructed and work together.  You could name this 'combined' file something like HeaderFooterORIG.asp.  Be sure to add the commented break-point as mentioned above before you combine them.

When in doubt, you can always refer back to this HeaderFooterORIG.asp file as your guideline.  

4)  Now you should now have your working page set up and ready to add the ProductCart Code and saved as a file called HeaderFooter.asp with the appropriate commented break-points.  From this day forward when ever you make a change to your store, always make the change in this file.  When you have it looking the way you want, copy from the <!-- HEADER ABOVE --> on up, and paste into the header.asp file; copy from the <-- FOOTER BELOW --> point on down, and paste that into the footer.asp file. 

This may sound like a novice move, but understand that I am a very experienced coder and I still do this when I work on stores ... Why, because it makes it so much simpler when you can see the page put together!  This also prevent your editing software from adding extra styles and <head></head> statements to your footer file (I correct this in stores all the time).

5)  When it comes to the store, stay away from in-line style changes because if you do the wrong thing it can conflict with what the ProductCart CSS files are trying to do and make your site look strange.  My rule of thumb is that when it comes to styling the store, always use the default CSS files to make changes (pcheaderfooter08.css and pcstorefront.css).  If you need some extra styles, there is nothing wrong with adding the styles to the bottom of these respective default CSS files.   

If you are not comfortable with CSS, Stop and bring someone in that is.  It will be worth the money spent.

ALTERNATIVE APPROACH:

You can just build your store around the default Header and Footer files Early Impact Provides and make alterations to the title and add your logo.  Just remember to make your changes in the combined file then copy from the <!-- HEADER ABOVE --> up, and paste into the header.asp file, and copy from the <-- FOOTER BELOW --> point down, and paste into the footer.asp file. 

After you have the store running you can always work with a developer to customize the look to something more specific. 

Either way, there are a lot of us here on the forums that would likely take this on as a project to get you initially set up and running.  No need for frustration.

Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
Hosting/Design/Customization/Database Migration
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic