ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I may have discovered some errors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I may have discovered some errors
    Posted: 22-October-2010 at 6:56pm
Dear EI,

When I tried importing my categories last night for the first time, I had a bit of trouble.  I was able to work through it.  I do believe that a majority of the problems had to do with some wierd little things that I had done with the document.  But I did discover that a good bulk of my import problems was related to the "category name" fields and it's max of 50 characters.  There were a few times that I had exactly 50 characters in the field, but that seemed to be too many. 

Now, I'm only guessing that this was the error.  I was never given an error code for this error, so this is one "error" I discovered.  FYI, I was given a blank blue box with a yellow triangle with an exclaimation mark in it.  I figure, it must have been that 50 characters was too many, because when I downsized, the category was then able to be uploaded.

I realized, when this error occured, I was in a tertiary level of my categories.  I was wondering, perhaps if the two previous levels constituted as a "character".  When this happened, I was able to upload a category with 48 characters, so this "theory" seemed to work.  Keep in mind, this only happened a about 5 times where I can really feel confident that the error was related to the max character amount not being correct.  I only later I realized that this was happening when I was in a secondary or tertiary category level.  I'm not entirely sure that this is 100% correct, and perhaps something was going on, like a "space" at the end that perhaps was throwing off the number??

I put this up for your information.

Oh, one thought.  I would have been nice if there was a "delete all categories" button.  What I ended up doing to upload my categories was after each upload, I would see how many categories was uploaded.  I when then assume that an error occured on the following row.  So I would tweak it until it uploaded.  This is how I identified the max character issue.  After the upload, I would fix my document, and then delete all of my categories and the proceed with the complete re-upload. 

Also, strangely, when I deleted most of the countries in the "manage counties" section, I discovered that there are some "states" listed in my states section that should not be there.  I deleted all but 3 counties: US, US minor outlaying islands and CA.  I did confirm this as well by viewing my "manage countires" section and those only those 3 counties where listed.  Yet, for some reason, I have both New Zeland and Australia "states" listed in my states table. 

Specifically: 

From NZ: AUK, BOP, CAN, CI, GIS, HKB, MWT, MBH, NSN, NTL, OTA, STL, TKI, TAS, WKO, WGN, & WTC   

And from AU: ACT, NSW, NT, QLD, SA, TAS, VIC, WA

I am going to go ahead and just delete these out of my database, but I figure you guys should know in the event that some broader issue is going on.

Thanks!  I love finding these bugs and knowing that I don't have to pay for my (ex)web developer to fix them!!!!!!!!!Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileClap

Edited by tjbones - 22-October-2010 at 7:00pm
tjbones
Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2010 at 7:24pm
Thank you for the information.  We will investigate the character limitation.  ProductCart comes configured with states for US, CA, UK, AU, etc.  It is safe to delete anything you will not needed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic